|Posted:||Sep 14, 2012|
|Employment Status:||Limited Term Full-Time (9 months)|
|Hours of Work:||35 hours per week: Monday - Friday, 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.|
|Grade:||Job Group G|
|Salary Scale:||$35,012-$48,569 per annum* (effective May 1, 2012) *Actual salary will be pro-rated to reflect term of employment|
Reporting to the Facilities Supervisor(s), the Facilities Assistant will be part of the Facilities Team that is responsible for ensuring a healthy, safe, secure, and comfortable residence environment throughout the six (6) residence buildings for 2400 students in the academic year and for conference guests in the summer. Key functions include property management duties, service desk work and general administrative work. Duties include: initiating action in response to student or conference guest requests for assistance and inputting and maintaining up-to-date work order records; coordinating repairs with Facilities Management; initiating lock changes, including auditing and maintaining inventory for all residence keys; creating and maintaining the database of the electronic swipe access system, including reprogramming of all doors; performing minor repairs e.g. replacing light bulbs, changing batteries in swipe units; assisting with unit/room inspections and inventories; assisting with monthly fire alarm tests and related inspections and records; playing a lead role in the operation of the 24 hour residence service desks, which includes a front line role, as well as providing ongoing support/guidance and some direct training to staff, coordinating student staff scheduling, and arranging for illness and vacation coverage; arranging for purchase of repair materials and/or inventory supplies; assisting with the transition from residence to conference operations; and performing other related duties as assigned.
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written)
- Related front-line customer service experience
- Flexible and adaptable in a fast paced and changing work environment
- Demonstrated ability to problem solve and assist where appropriate
- Ability to establish priorities, organize own work with minimal supervision & to deal effectively with a wide variety of contacts both internal and external to the University
- An understanding of the basics of HVAC, electrical, plumbing and carpentry; the ability to carry out minor repairs
- Computer skills, including Windows XP, Microsoft Access and Excel
- Experience with electronic access control systems and previous experience in a university setting would be considered assets
- Must be able to carry out physical aspects of the job e.g. extended walking throughout the day, carrying of items weighing up to 50lbs, climbing stairs, lifting and moving of furniture or amenities within or to rooms, accessing areas that are at times awkward (basements/attics), etc.
Notes / To Apply :
Applicants are invited to submit a resumé and cover letter by applying online below by 4:30 p.m., Tuesday, September 25, 2012.
Visit us at: brocku.ca/hr
It is Brock University’s policy to give first consideration to qualified internal Brock University OSSTF applicants.
We appreciate all applications received; however, we will contact only those candidates selected for an interview.
Brock University is an equal opportunity employer.
This position is included in the Ontario Secondary School Teachers Federation (OSSTF) Union.