[ back ] [ print ]
|Posting #:||AP 19/2014|
|Posted:||Jun 3, 2014|
|Employment Status:||Permanent Full-Time|
|Grade:||Job Group O|
|Salary Scale:||$65,790 - $101,252 per annum* (effective July 1, 2013)|
|Hours of Work:|
Our unique philosophy takes students beyond the pursuit of academic excellence. To achieve this philosophy we endeavour to take our employees beyond the pursuit of just a career. Brock is a place where left-brain and right-brain thinking come together. We encourage our employees to utilize their rational/analytical thinking in concert with their emotional/creative sides in order to have an engaging and rewarding career. We’re one of the fastest-growing universities in Ontario, with significant dollars committed to new construction and programs. We’re small enough to be intimate and big enough to attract world-class minds. Located at the centre of Canada's beautiful Niagara Peninsula, Brock offers an exciting work environment with strong undergraduate, graduate and interdisciplinary programs and a vigorous research culture. We are looking for qualified people who will bring their expertise and dedication in support of the University’s goals and objectives.
As a member of Brock’s HR team, which supports University operations through a number of key portfolios (OD & Talent Acquisition; Total Rewards & Payroll; Staff & Faculty Relations; Health, Safety & Wellness; and Human Rights & Equity Services), the Incumbent is responsible for providing employee and labour relations expertise in assigned areas of responsibility, fostering constructive and principled relationships with staff and faculty, and the union locals that represent Brock employees.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Advising all levels of management on the interpretation of relevant policies, collective agreements, legislation and other terms and conditions of employment
• Ensuring compliance with all relevant legislated, collective agreement and policy driven obligations of the University
• Providing coaching and advice to all levels of management on issues related to employee performance, ensuring managers have the tools and training necessary to handle employment related issues
• Fostering an environment that supports constructive relationships with employee and labour groups through effective, appropriate, consistent and collaborative administration of relevant policies, terms and conditions of employment, collective agreements and employment legislation
• Acting as the Chief Negotiator for assigned collective bargaining (subset of nine collective agreements)
• Providing advice and managing the resolution of complaints and grievances, including the arbitration process
• Utilizing a proactive problem solving approach and working with supervisors, employees and/or unions, to better manage conflict and/or resolve difficult employment situations
• Conducting and/or overseeing workplace investigations, as well as recommending and facilitating appropriate resolutions
• Coordinating, leading, developing, implementing and providing ongoing evaluation of projects as assigned
• Developing and maintaining relationships with stakeholders by participating on committees and teams, both internally and externally
The ideal candidate will have:
• Bachelor's degree in a relevant discipline, and a CHRP designation or equivalent experience and education
• 10 years of progressively senior HR experience in a multi-union environment (preferably in higher education or a related field)
• Several years of experience in a senior labour relations role
• Working knowledge of applicable employment legislation and in-depth knowledge of collective bargaining, managing the administration of collective agreements and policy interpretation
• Demonstrated ability in conflict resolution, including successfully resolving issues via third-party dispute resolution
• Demonstrated ability/knowledge in conducting workplace investigations and facilitating appropriate resolutions
• Proven ability to see the big picture, while ensuring accuracy and attention to detail
• Exceptional facilitation and negotiation skills, with the demonstrated ability to advise and coach supervisors and employees on employment-related matters
• Effective verbal and written communication skills, including adept listening skills with the proven ability to establish and maintain sound working relationships with multiple stakeholders
• Strong judgment, evaluation and reasoning skills
• Excellent organizational skills to prioritize workload in a fast-paced environment with changing deadlines and the need to respond quickly to meet client needs and resolve problems
• Master’s degree in Industrial Relations or Business Administration (an asset)
• Experience as a Chief Negotiator in collective bargaining (preferred)
• Third party facilitation/mediation training (an asset)
This position includes full comprehensive benefits coverage, including tuition waiver. Applicants are invited to submit a resume and cover letter, including salary expectations by applying online below. Resumes will be reviewed beginning June 20, 2014 and will continue to be accepted until the position is filled.
It is Brock University’s policy to give consideration to qualified internal applicants.
We appreciate all applications received; however, we will contact only those candidates selected for an interview.
Brock University is an equal opportunity employer committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environment. We will accommodate the needs of the applicants under the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) throughout all stages of the recruitment and selection process. Please advise the Human Resources Department to ensure your accessibility needs are accommodated through this process. Information received relating to accommodation measure will be addressed confidentially.
*The salary range indicated is representative of all positions evaluated at this level. Actual salary is determined by examining related skills, experience, budgetary restrictions and both internal and external equity comparators.
Enter your information in the boxes below.