[ back ] [ print ]
|Posting #:||AP 13/2014|
|Posted:||May 5, 2014|
|Employment Status:||Permanent Full-Time|
|Department:||Information Technology Services|
|Grade:||Job Group N|
|Salary Scale:||$59,271 - $91,230 per annum* (effective July 1, 2013)|
|Hours of Work:|
Our unique philosophy takes students beyond the pursuit of academic excellence. To achieve this philosophy we endeavour to take our employees beyond the pursuit of just a career. Brock is a place where left-brain and right-brain thinking come together. We encourage our employees to utilize their rational/analytical thinking in concert with their emotional/creative sides in order to have an engaging and rewarding career. We’re one of the fastest-growing universities in Ontario, with hundreds of millions of dollars committed to new construction and programs. We’re small enough to be intimate and big enough to attract world-class minds. Located at the centre of Canada's beautiful Niagara Peninsula, Brock offers an exciting work environment with strong undergraduate, graduate and interdisciplinary programs and a vigorous research culture. We are looking for qualified people who will bring their expertise and dedication in support of the University’s goals and objectives.
Reporting to Director, IT Infrastructure, the Senior System Administrator works with a team of system administrators responsible for the planning, implementation, maintenance, and support of the University’s Windows and Linux environments and provides support for Brock’s virtualized environment and private cloud infrastructure. The incumbent leads and participates in the design, configuration, testing, implementation, lifecycle management, and support activities for the production, development, and Quality Assurance systems and applications at Brock.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Providing planning, implementation, maintenance and support of Windows and Linux environments
• Installing, configuring, maintaining, and performance tuning Windows Server and Redhat Linux operating system components, system software packages, and third party supplied applications, in a Hyper-V environment to satisfy operational and project objectives
• Providing administration, deployment, and support of virtual environments and private cloud infrastructures, including resolving tickets, completing projects and proactively addressing environment issues
• Designing, configuring, testing, implementing, facilitating lifecycle management, and support activities for the production, development, and Quality Assurance systems and applications
• Developing and maintaining operational documentation, installation guides, hardening documents, test plans, processes, and procedures
• Providing administration and support of system and organizational applications, both in-house developed and third party
• Acting as an administration resource for Technical Services initiated infrastructure projects and technical consultation for IT business projects
• Monitoring and supporting IT systems and ensuring systems/applications are current
• Monitoring systems for prevention of outages and high availability
• Monitoring systems and architecting systems to insure security and compliance with internal policies and external forces (e.g. PCI)
• Ensuring systems are adequately backed up and recoverable
• Measuring and reporting on key performance indicators
The ideal candidate will have:
• Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, or equivalent combination of education and related experience
• Several years of demonstrated experience as a Windows and Linux Systems Administrator in a mixed environment of medium (10 to 50 servers) to large (greater than 50 servers) size
• Proven experience with incident, problem and change management
• Demonstrated ITIL and/or project management experience
• Proven ability to solve complex technical problems involving Windows/Linux operating systems
• Working knowledge of Windows 2012/2008R2, operating system installation, administration, capacity planning and systems management
• Demonstrated experience administering Active Directory
• Proven ability to learn new skills quickly
• Demonstrated ability to lead a team through a system development lifecycle
• Demonstrated ability to work both independently and as part of a diverse team
• Strong verbal and written communication skills
• Proven ability to make sound decisions and set priorities, utilizing strong organizational and problem solving skills
• Demonstrated ability to multitask in a fast paced environment with multiple competing demands and client groups
The following are considered preferred/asset skills:
• Experience within an HA, clustered, virtual environment
• Excellent knowledge of TCP/IP stack and network architecture and services
• Experience with RedHat Linux
• Experience with SAN and NAS environments, ISCSI and Fiber Channel
• Experience configuring and administering various web servers (IIS, Apache, etc) and Apache Tomcat
• Experience with one or more scripting languages (PHP, Perl, Bash, etc)
• Experience or working knowledge of following software components: MS-SQL, MySQL, SCOM, Cisco UCS
• Experience with PCI-DSS compliance
• Experience in MS Exchange administration
• Experience with MS System Center Suite
This position includes full comprehensive benefits coverage, including tuition waiver. Applicants are invited to submit a resume and cover letter, including salary expectations, by applying online below by May 20, 2014.
It is Brock University’s policy to give consideration to qualified internal applicants.
We appreciate all applications received; however, we will contact only those candidates selected for an interview.
Brock University is an equal opportunity employer committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environment. We will accommodate the needs of the applicants under the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) throughout all stages of the recruitment and selection process. Please advise the Human Resources Department to ensure your accessibility needs are accommodated through this process. Information received relating to accommodation measure will be addressed confidentially.
*The salary range indicated is representative of all positions evaluated at this level. Actual salary is determined by examining related skills, experience, budgetary restrictions and both internal and external equity comparators.