[ back ] [ print ]
|Posting #:||AP 11/2014|
|Posted:||Apr 30, 2014|
|Employment Status:||Permanent Full-Time (37.5 hours per week)|
|Department:||Campus Security Services|
|Grade:||Job Group I|
|Salary Scale:||$39,800 - $58,032 per annum* (effective July 1, 2013)|
|Hours of Work:|
Our unique philosophy takes students beyond the pursuit of academic excellence. To achieve this philosophy we endeavour to take our employees beyond the pursuit of just a career. Brock is a place where left-brain and right-brain thinking come together. We encourage our employees to utilize their rational/analytical thinking in concert with their emotional/creative sides in order to have an engaging and rewarding career. We’re one of the fastest-growing universities in Ontario, with hundreds of millions of dollars committed to new construction and programs. We’re small enough to be intimate and big enough to attract world-class minds. Located at the centre of Canada's beautiful Niagara Peninsula, Brock offers an exciting work environment with strong undergraduate, graduate and interdisciplinary programs and a vigorous research culture. We are looking for qualified people who will bring their expertise and dedication in support of the University’s goals and objectives.
Reporting to the Manager, Emergency Management and Life Safety and working out of the Central Communication and Monitoring Centre (CCMC), the Communications Operator and Dispatcher is responsible for receiving calls for Campus Security Services, assigning appropriate resources and making appropriate notifications; providing effective and continuous two-way radio monitoring; dispatching of Security staff and other groups at the University; monitoring closed circuit camera systems and emergency systems effecting safety and security of the Brock campus; expanding security system functions; conducting computer searches as required.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Coordinating dispatch and communications, screening and receiving incoming requests, via telephone, email and in-person through the security alarm and/or the 911 system, ensuring calls are prioritized and dispatched accordingly
• Utilizing Incident Log, obtaining and recording all necessary information when generating an incident
• Dispatching appropriate officers and notifying external and internal resources for assistance, i.e. Ambulance, Fire, Police, Environmental Health and Safety, and Facilities Management
• Monitoring all alarm points, security systems, emergency phones, contacting appropriate personnel and ensuring adequate response
• Receiving information and communicate with 911 operators, supply information to emergency responders as per standard operating procedures
• Monitoring and administering all communication systems, CCTV surveillance camera systems, card swipe access screens, paging systems, and fire alarm systems to ensure the safety and security of the Brock Community
• Responding to situations/incidents that may arise, prioritizing in relation to other activities and contacts and/or dispatches appropriate personnel
• Administering the Emergency Notification System, facilitating activation upon direction of supervisor, Emergency Response Team (ERT) or Crisis Management Group (CMG)
• Providing assistance to personnel in testing of all emergency systems
• Utilizing knowledge of technology and expanding functions for all security systems in order to maximize their use and efficiency
• Working together with Campus Security Services and University departments to promote crime prevention and Brock community-based partnerships to assist in personal safety
• Providing superior customer care at all times to the University Community and its visitors
The ideal candidate will have:
• A College diploma in a related field and experience with a related security, communications company or service
• Police Clearance Certificate, a Valid Driver’s Licence and a clean driving record
• Demonstrated Knowledge of radio operations and skills related to radio operations
• Understanding of the basics of CCTV systems including functionality, networking, and IP addresses
• Understand of the basics of Access Control Management Systems (ACMS), including programming of access cards, levels and general administration of the system(s)
• Working knowledge of Phonetic Alphabet and 10 Code Universal Dispatch System
• Proficient Microsoft Office and Windows computer user
• Demonstrated knowledge of computer security systems and abilities to determine efficiencies and functionality of security systems
• Demonstrated knowledge of computer storage and retrieval techniques for computer searching and reporting; how data is stored and retrieved and the ability to produce appropriate and accurate reports based upon findings that are defensible in criminal or other investigative circumstances
• Proven ability to multi-task with attention to detail, and excellent analytical and research skills
• Excellent organizational abilities, including ability to set priorities, manage a high volume of work and competing demands
• Strong written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills and strong customer service skills
• Proven ability to manage stressful emergency situations and respond to individuals in duress, where life and safety may be at risk
• Certification in a related communications field (an asset)
This position includes full comprehensive benefits coverage, including tuition waiver. Applicants are invited to submit a resume and cover letter, including salary expectations, by applying online below by Thursday, May 15, 2014.
It is Brock University’s policy to give consideration to qualified internal applicants.
We appreciate all applications received; however, we will contact only those candidates selected for an interview.
Brock University is an equal opportunity employer committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environment. We will accommodate the needs of the applicants under the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) throughout all stages of the recruitment and selection process. Please advise the Human Resources Department to ensure your accessibility needs are accommodated through this process. Information received relating to accommodation measure will be addressed confidentially.
*The salary range indicated is representative of all positions evaluated at this level. Actual salary is determined by examining related skills, experience, budgetary restrictions and both internal and external equity comparators.