[ back ] [ print ]
|Posting #:||AP 08/2014|
|Posted:||Mar 17, 2014|
|Employment Status:||Permanent Full-Time|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Mathematics and Science|
|Grade:||Job Group M|
|Salary Scale:||$53,397 - $82,175 per annum* (effective July 1, 2013)|
|Hours of Work:|
Our unique philosophy takes students beyond the pursuit of academic excellence. To achieve this philosophy we endeavour to take our employees beyond the pursuit of just a career. Brock is a place where left-brain and right-brain thinking come together. We encourage our employees to utilize their rational/analytical thinking in concert with their emotional/creative sides in order to have an engaging and rewarding career. We’re one of the fastest-growing universities in Ontario, with hundreds of millions of dollars committed to new construction and programs. We’re small enough to be intimate and big enough to attract world-class minds. Located at the centre of Canada's beautiful Niagara Peninsula, Brock offers an exciting work environment with strong undergraduate, graduate and interdisciplinary programs and a vigorous research culture. We are looking for qualified people who will bring their expertise and dedication in support of the University’s goals and objectives.
Reporting to the Chair, Biological Sciences, the Online Course Administrator designs, implements, coordinates, evaluates, manages and directs the effective operation of online lectures and laboratories in Biological Sciences.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Providing leadership in online teaching development in Biological Sciences
• Preparing lecture and laboratory material/content that are current and relevant, promoting student involvement and learning
• Researching, consulting and analyzing data/information for online lecture and laboratory design and development
• Designing, supervising and coordinating the marking of appropriate examinations for each assigned course
• Preparing course outlines/manuals/ and laboratory manuals that introduce course personnel, course goals, learning objectives and grading schemes
• Providing web links, animated vignettes, YouTube clips, free downloads etc., where applicable to enhance the learning experience, and compile materials to integrate with Sakai;
• Coordinating and administering online tools and materials for students, instructors and teaching assistants, i.e. discussion boards and forums, “Q & A”, lecture and laboratory materials, web links, pod casts, YouTube excerpts, etc.
• Providing coaching, support and problem solving assistance to teaching assistants with special emphasis on the online environment, demonstrating effective teaching/facilitation techniques for an online environment
• Acting as an expert professional resource to advise and assist faculty and staff members interested in developing new online offerings of Biology courses
The ideal candidate will have:
• A Msc in Biological Sciences or related discipline
• A few years of demonstrated experience working in an online teaching environment and teaching/facilitating laboratory exercises
• Demonstrated knowledge of various principles and laboratory practices in the biological sciences
• Solid computer competency including word processing, spreadsheet, database, web applications and web maintenance, social media, internet search engines (e.g. Microsoft Office, InDesign, Adobe, Gradebook, Turnitin, Sakai or Learning Management Systems etc.)
• Proven ability to source relevant and current/emerging information, and develop appropriate online laboratory demonstrations to disseminate knowledge to students
• Strong verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills
• Ability to disseminate knowledge, supervise, manage and mentor both students and Teaching Assistants
• Proven ability to work independently with minimal supervision and exercise sound judgement and prioritization in order to meet deadlines
• Strong project management and critical thinking skills
• Demonstrated ability to be flexible, adaptable and adjust to changing biological developments and e-learning/pedagogical strategies/techniques
• Innovative and creative thinking skills
• A PhD in Biological Sciences (considered a strong asset)
This position includes full comprehensive benefits coverage, including tuition waiver. Applicants are invited to submit a resume and cover letter, including salary expectations, by applying online below by April 28, 2014.
It is Brock University’s policy to give consideration to qualified internal applicants.
We appreciate all applications received; however, we will contact only those candidates selected for an interview.
Brock University is an equal opportunity employer committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environment. We will accommodate the needs of the applicants under the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) throughout all stages of the recruitment and selection process. Please advise the Human Resources Department to ensure your accessibility needs are accommodated through this process. Information received relating to accommodation measure will be addressed confidentially.
*The salary range indicated is representative of all positions evaluated at this level. Actual salary is determined by examining related skills, experience, budgetary restrictions and both internal and external equity comparators.