[ back ] [ print ]
|Posting #:||AP 05/2014|
|Posted:||Jan 29, 2014|
|Employment Status:||Permanent Full-Time|
|Grade:||Job Group K|
|Salary Scale:||$44,132 - $66,135 per annum* (effective July 1, 2013)|
|Hours of Work:|
Our unique philosophy takes students beyond the pursuit of academic excellence. To achieve this philosophy we endeavour to take our employees beyond the pursuit of just a career. Brock is a place where left-brain and right-brain thinking come together. We encourage our employees to utilize their rational/analytical thinking in concert with their emotional/creative sides in order to have an engaging and rewarding career. We’re one of the fastest-growing universities in Ontario, with hundreds of millions of dollars committed to new construction and programs. We’re small enough to be intimate and big enough to attract world-class minds. Located at the centre of Canada's beautiful Niagara Peninsula, Brock offers an exciting work environment with strong undergraduate, graduate and interdisciplinary programs and a vigorous research culture. We are looking for qualified people who will bring their expertise and dedication in support of the University’s goals and objectives.
Reporting to the Director, Health, Safety & Wellness, the Health & Safety Consultant will provide assistance in the development, implementation and maintenance of a broad spectrum of health & safety systems and programs. The incumbent will play a significant role in the development and administration of the fire prevention program.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Developing, maintaining and guiding the implementation of Fire Safety Plans
• Recruiting, coordinating and maintaining the Emergency Warden System to facilitate safe evacuations and support other emergency response activities
• Participating in and supporting the Fire & Life Safety Management Committee
• Conducting and communicating findings of routine, intermittent and specific fire safety inspections in rooms, corridors, mechanical areas and grounds of the University
• Raising awareness of fire safety and health & safety programs, in all of the University’s constituents by initiating, scheduling, and facilitating education and training, as well as through observation, signage, and communications
• Providing assistance in the maintenance of the violence prevention program and conducting violence allegation investigations, coordinating and liaising with other Health & Safety colleagues and appropriate parties
• Facilitating accident investigations with responsible parties and assisting in risk mitigation of those incidents
• Providing administrative support to the Joint Health & Safety Committee
• Maintaining applicable health & safety metrics and training databases
• Providing assistance to other Health & Safety colleagues in auditing and providing recommendations for a broad scope of health and safety programs
• Ensuring campus wide compliance of First Aid Regulation 1101 and maintain appropriate records
• Providing assistance in the development, implementation and maintenance of a broad spectrum of health and safety programs by conducting research, gathering relevant industry information, summarizing information and providing information to the Health & Safety team
The ideal candidate will have:
• A college diploma or University degree in Health, Safety and Environment, or a relevant discipline
• 1 to 2+ years of Health & Safety or relevant experience in Health & Safety
• Demonstrated knowledge of the Ontario Fire Code, Occupational Health & Safety Act and Regulations, the Workplace Safety & Insurance Act, the Environmental Protection Act and Regulations, and all relevant legislation
• Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills, and the demonstrated ability to interact effectively with a diverse population at all levels, utilizing tact and diplomacy
• Solid computer competency including word processing, spreadsheet, database, web applications and web maintenance, social media, internet search engines
• Strong presentation skills and ability to convey technical information to non-technical stakeholders
• Project management experience and the ability to effectively manage multiple projects with extreme accuracy and attention to detail
• Strong judgement, analytical and problem solving skills
This position includes full comprehensive benefits coverage, including tuition waiver. Applicants are invited to submit a resume and cover letter, including salary expectations, by applying online below by April 4, 2014.
It is Brock University’s policy to give consideration to qualified internal applicants.
We appreciate all applications received; however, we will contact only those candidates selected for an interview.
Brock University is an equal opportunity employer committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environment. We will accommodate the needs of the applicants and the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) throughout all stages of the recruitment and selection process. Please advise the Human Resources Department to ensure your accessibility needs are accommodated through this process. Information received relating to accommodation measure will be addressed confidentially.
*The salary range indicated is representative of all positions evaluated at this level. Actual salary is determined by examining related skills, experience, budgetary restrictions and both internal and external equity comparators.