[ back ] [ print ]
|Posting #:||AP 59/2013|
|Posted:||Sep 27, 2013|
|Employment Status:||Term Full-Time (12 months) (with possibility of renewal)|
|Department:||Cool Climate Oenology and Viticulture Institute (CCOVI)|
|Grade:||Job Group J|
|Salary Scale:||$40,487 - $59,854 per annum* (effective July 1, 2013)|
|Hours of Work:|
Our unique philosophy takes students beyond the pursuit of academic excellence. To achieve this philosophy we endeavour to take our employees beyond the pursuit of just a career. Brock is a place where left-brain and right-brain thinking come together. We encourage our employees to utilize their rational/analytical thinking in concert with their emotional/creative sides in order to have an engaging and rewarding career. We’re one of the fastest-growing universities in Ontario, with hundreds of millions of dollars committed to new construction and programs. We’re small enough to be intimate and big enough to attract world-class minds. Located at the centre of Canada's beautiful Niagara Peninsula, Brock offers an exciting work environment with strong undergraduate, graduate and interdisciplinary programs and a vigorous research culture. We are looking for qualified people who will bring their expertise and dedication in support of the University’s goals and objectives.
Reporting to CCOVI Technologist, the technician will provide technical and billing assistance to the CCOVI Technologist in running the Analytical Services lab. Responsibilities will include sample preparation, testing of research and commercial juice/wine samples, customer billing and processing equipment maintenance in CCOVI’s teaching and research winery.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Preparing grape, juice or wine samples for testing requested (processing grapes, filtering juice or wine) and preparing sample dilutions for appropriate tests
• Running analytical tests for analysis, recording data and reporting results back to customers; informing CCOVI technologist that analyses are complete
• Preparing chemical stock solutions required in the analytical lab
• Assisting with outreach activities in CCOVI
• Assisting with financial tracking and billing
• Working with the CCOVI Technologist to develop Service Contracts for both outside and internal clients
• Assisting the CCOVI Technologist with routine maintenance of analytical equipment
• Overseeing maintenance and repairs of winery equipment in the CCOVI Teaching and Research Winery
• Providing assistance and support to CCOVI faculty, staff and students in the use of the sensory analysis software and scheduling the use of the Sensory Laboratory
• Assisting the CCOVI Technologist in collecting and maintaining Bulk Wine Inventory records for monthly reporting to Revenue Canada Excise/Duty
The ideal candidate will have:
• Certificate in Grape and Wine Technology, or a Bachelor of Science degree in Oenology and Viticulture, Food Science, Chemistry, or Biochemistry, with proven experience in analyzing juice/wine samples
• Demonstrated experience working with Juice and Wine analysis, wine sensory evaluation and wine fermentation experience
• Proficient computer user, including Microsoft Word, Excel and Access
• Demonstrated knowledge of micro-pipetting, preparing solutions in volumetric flasks, operating a spectrophotometer, refractometer, and performing titrations
• Strong written and verbal communication skills to provide information and assistance
• Strong record keeping and report writing skills
• Ability to refer to, and utilize procedural guidelines, exercise judgment and consider precedence as a component of the decision making process
This position includes full comprehensive benefits coverage, including tuition waiver. Applicants are invited to submit a resume and cover letter, including salary expectations, by applying online below by October 11, 2013.
It is Brock University’s policy to give consideration to qualified internal applicants.
We appreciate all applications received; however, we will contact only those candidates selected for an interview.
Brock University is an equal opportunity employer committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environment. We will accommodate the needs of the applicants and the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) throughout all stages of the recruitment and selection process. Please advise the Human Resources Department to ensure your accessibility needs are accommodated through this process. Information received relating to accommodation measure will be addressed confidentially.
*The salary range indicated is representative of all positions evaluated at this level. Actual salary is determined by examining related skills, experience, budgetary restrictions and both internal and external equity comparators.
Enter your information in the boxes below.