[ back ] [ print ]
|Posting #:||AP 48/2013|
|Posted:||Aug 7, 2013|
|Employment Status:||Term Full-Time (12 months with possible renewal)|
|Department:||Office of the Registrar (Brock University and Niagara College|
|Grade:||Job Group J|
|Salary Scale:||$40,487 - $59,854 per annum* (effective July 1, 2013)|
|Hours of Work:|
Our unique philosophy takes students beyond the pursuit of academic excellence. To achieve this philosophy we endeavour to take our employees beyond the pursuit of just a career. Brock is a place where left-brain and right-brain thinking come together. We encourage our employees to utilize their rational/analytical thinking in concert with their emotional/creative sides in order to have an engaging and rewarding career. We’re one of the fastest-growing universities in Ontario, with hundreds of millions of dollars committed to new construction and programs. We’re small enough to be intimate and big enough to attract world-class minds. Located at the centre of Canada's beautiful Niagara Peninsula, Brock offers an exciting work environment with strong undergraduate, graduate and interdisciplinary programs and a vigorous research culture. We are looking for qualified people who will bring their expertise and dedication in support of the University’s goals and objectives.
Reporting to the Registrars at both institutions but under the direct supervision of the Associate Registrar, Academic Information and Protocol (Brock), the Joint Advisor/Liaison Officer will be responsible for facilitating the successful transition of targeted groups of students between Niagara College and Brock University in partnered and articulated programs. Primarily responsible for providing academic advising services and transition planning, the Joint Advisor will also have responsibilities in aspects of recruitment initiatives for articulated programs between the two institutions, and for the tracking and assessment of student success in these programs. In addition to operational duties, a focus of this position will be to develop a framework for future advising and recruitment initiatives to ensure that they are sustainable over time.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Providing effective academic advising services to Brock University and Niagara College students in partnered and articulated programs, such as the General Arts & Science – Degree Transfer program. Responsibilities include one to one academic advising, coordination of student development support services, early identification of students at risk, and related transitional programming for these students.
• Focusing on recruitment initiatives targeted at current and prospective students at both institutions who would be prospects to enroll in articulated programs or have potential for transferring in either direction (Brock to Niagara/Niagara to Brock) under appropriate institutional transfer protocols and requirements.
• Develop effective working relationships with disparate groups at two institutions, under different governance structures, to understand the similarities and differences between the practices and policies of the two institutions, and identify ways to facilitate outcomes of successful transition between both.
The ideal candidate will have:
• A University degree in a related field
• Valid Driver’s licence
• Demonstrated knowledge of academic policies and practices, as well as a familiarity with program offerings, at both the University and College
• Strong computer skills using Microsoft Office Suite is required; database experience and report writing preferred
• Demonstrated ability to work both independently with minimum supervision as well as part of a team
• Strong oral and written communication and presentation skills and the ability to communicate effectively with all contacts
• Strong research and analytical skills
• Proven ability to determine priorities and meet deadlines
• Some familiarity with the University and College student information systems an asset
• Previous experience working in a University and/or College environment would be an asset
• Ability to work flexible hours as required
This position includes full comprehensive benefits coverage, including tuition waiver. Applicants are invited to submit a resume and cover letter, including salary expectations, by applying online below. Resumes will be reviewed starting Thursday, August 22, 2013 and will be accepted until the position is filled.
It is Brock University’s policy to give consideration to qualified internal applicants.
We appreciate all applications received; however, due to volume we will contact only those candidates selected for an interview.
Brock University is an equal opportunity employer committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environment. We will accommodate the needs of the applicants and the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) throughout all stages of the recruitment and selection process. Please advise the Human Resources Department to ensure your accessibility needs are accommodated through this process. Information received relating to accommodation measure will be addressed confidentially.
*The salary range indicated is representative of all positions evaluated at this level. Actual salary is determined by examining related skills, experience, budgetary restrictions and both internal and external equity comparators.