[ back ] [ print ]
|Posting #:||AP 47/2013|
|Posted:||Jul 31, 2013|
|Employment Status:||Permanent Full-Time|
|Department:||Faculty of Graduate Studies|
|Grade:||Job Group J|
|Salary Scale:||$40,487 - $59,854 per annum* (effective July 1, 2013)|
|Hours of Work:|
Our unique philosophy takes students beyond the pursuit of academic excellence. To achieve this philosophy we endeavour to take our employees beyond the pursuit of just a career. Brock is a place where left-brain and right-brain thinking come together. We encourage our employees to utilize their rational/analytical thinking in concert with their emotional/creative sides in order to have an engaging and rewarding career. We’re one of the fastest-growing universities in Ontario, with hundreds of millions of dollars committed to new construction and programs. We’re small enough to be intimate and big enough to attract world-class minds. Located at the centre of Canada's beautiful Niagara Peninsula, Brock offers an exciting work environment with strong undergraduate, graduate and interdisciplinary programs and a vigorous research culture. We are looking for qualified people who will bring their expertise and dedication in support of the University’s goals and objectives.
Reporting to the Associate Director and/or the Director, Faculty of Graduate Studies, the Graduate Officer works with the Associate Director and acts as the application and admissions expert to oversee the application and admissions process for Brock graduate programs. The Graduate Officer leads and supports FGS and graduate program staff by assessing and monitoring the application and admission work flow/load and distribution of work.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Ensuring that the application and admission process operates effectively and accurately by distributing and overseeing application and admission work completed by Graduate Assistants and providing information, advice and problem solving support to Graduate Assistants and other FGS staff on applications/admissions issues
• Monitoring admission screens/files to ensure accuracy and efficiency and to oversee the movement of applications and ensuring application and admission resources are kept up to date and are accurate
• Developing and maintaining manuals and procedure documents used for FGS staff and graduate program staff training
• Updating and maintaining web application and associated materials and ensure the accuracy and efficiency of the Student Information System (BrockDB) application and admission screens and process
• Collaborating with the Associate Director/Director and Information Technology Services (ITS) to develop, test and implement new electronic application and admission tools and processes where applicable, and monitoring accuracy and completeness of application electronic data, and determine correct course of action when errors are detected
• Processing applications and admissions, assisting applicants, as well as reviewing and evaluating applications to ensure that academic admission requirements are met, including reviewing applications for forged/fraudulent transcripts and reference letters
• Serving as the International application/admission expert within the FGS, taking ongoing training regarding specific country educational systems and evaluation mechanisms and developing, securing, organizing and updating all relevant resources to assess international applications
• Responding to FGS Application and Admission process inquiries from applicants, referees, Graduate Program Directors, Associate Deans, international agents, etc.
• Overseeing and carrying out final admission processing
• Training FGS staff, GPDs, Graduate Program Administrative Assistants to use new and existing application and admission screens/processes
• Attend relevant on and off campus training sessions and conferences and participating in relevant professional associations
• Compiling and reporting admission/application statistical data as required
The ideal candidate will have:
• An undergraduate degree, plus additional education at a post-graduate level leading up to but not necessarily completion of a Graduate Degree (or an equivalent combination of education and experience)
• Demonstrated knowledge of University admissions processes (graduate studies preferred) including international admissions knowledge
• Excellent written, oral and interpersonal communication skills, including demonstrated teaching/training ability
• Demonstrated and strong leadership, diplomacy and team building skills
• Proven ability to understand IT processes regarding application and admission processes with solid computer competency including word processing, spreadsheet, database, web applications and web maintenance, social media, etc.
• Demonstrated extreme accuracy and attention to detail
• Excellent organizational skills and ability to prioritize workload in a fast-paced environment
• Demonstrated and strong judgment, analytical and problem solving skills
• Willingness and commitment to keep up-to-date with legislation, application and admissions best practices, and internal policies, procedures and practices
This position includes full comprehensive benefits coverage, including tuition waiver. Applicants are invited to submit a resume and cover letter, including salary expectations, by applying online below by Friday, August 23, 2013.
It is Brock University’s policy to give consideration to qualified internal applicants.
We appreciate all applications received; however, due to volume we will contact only those candidates selected for an interview.
Brock University is an equal opportunity employer committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environment. We will accommodate the needs of the applicants and the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) throughout all stages of the recruitment and selection process. Please advise the Human Resources Department to ensure your accessibility needs are accommodated through this process. Information received relating to accommodation measure will be addressed confidentially.
*The salary range indicated is representative of all positions evaluated at this level. Actual salary is determined by examining related skills, experience, budgetary restrictions and both internal and external equity comparators.