[ back ] [ print ]
|Posting #:||AP 36/2013|
|Posted:||Jun 6, 2013|
|Employment Status:||Permanent Full-Time|
|Department:||Office of the Registrar|
|Grade:||Job Group J|
|Salary Scale:||$39,889 - $58,969 per annum|
|Hours of Work:|
Our unique philosophy takes students beyond the pursuit of academic excellence. To achieve this philosophy we endeavour to take our employees beyond the pursuit of just a career. Brock is a place where left-brain and right-brain thinking come together. We encourage our employees to utilize their rational/analytical thinking in concert with their emotional/creative sides in order to have an engaging and rewarding career. We’re one of the fastest-growing universities in Ontario, with hundreds of millions of dollars committed to new construction and programs. We’re small enough to be intimate and big enough to attract world-class minds. Located at the centre of Canada's beautiful Niagara Peninsula, Brock offers an exciting work environment with strong undergraduate, graduate and interdisciplinary programs and a vigorous research culture. We are looking for qualified people who will bring their expertise and dedication in support of the University’s goals and objectives.
Reporting to the Associate Registrar, Academic Information and Protocol, the Coordinator/Advisor provides coordination and administrative support to the following Senate Committees: Undergraduate Student Affairs Committee; Senate Student Appeals Board; and Academic Program Committee.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Assisting committee Chairs including reviewing submissions and ensuring items are directed to the appropriate Senate committee for follow through
• Providing advice related to background and resource information on existing policies, past practices, precedents, procedures and process to committee Chairs, the Registrar, members of the Senior Administrative Staff, and committee members
• Providing direction, advice and technical assistance to departmental representatives in the preparation of submissions and preparing committee reports to senate
• Organizing meetings and liaising with committee Chairs and members including preparing and distributing agenda materials
• Accurately recording and producing timely, professional and objective minutes
• Tracking, collecting, preparing and distributing relevant documentation for Senate Committee activities
• Conducting research and providing analysis for Committee members and providing direction, advice and technical assistance to departmental representatives in the preparation of submissions
• Providing background/resource information, advising and responding to questions from Chairs, the Registrar, Senior Administrative Staff, committee members, students, faculty and parents related to existing policies, past practices and procedures (i.e. Faculty Handbook and University academic policies and regulations)
• Responding to questions related to appeals, and soliciting and collecting pertinent documentation for appeals process
• Reviewing appeals and determine whether appropriate documentation has been submitted and prepare decision letters on behalf of the Chairs
• Assisting with Academic Advising duties during peak times including: providing academic advising to undergraduate students pursing General Studies; are undeclared or considering a change of major; outlining options and ensuring students facing academic challenges understand rules and strategies based on individual circumstances; referring students to appropriate resources i.e. counseling
• Assisting with Convocation, Open House, and Outreach initiatives in Academic Advising and Exploration Services
• Other duties as assigned
The ideal candidate will have:
• Bachelor’s degree in a relevant discipline
• Demonstrated experience and knowledge of University governance, academic regulations and academic structure and program requirements
• Strong analytical skills and demonstrated experience with data collection and reporting
• Proven ability to work with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.) and ability to learn new software and continually acquire new competencies
• Ability to work with documents electronically in a secured environment
• Demonstrated ability to work quickly and accurately with meticulous attention to detail while managing multiple tasks and deadlines
• Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills
• Proven ability to work collaboratively with a wide spectrum of faculty, students, administrative staff, and the general public
• Sensitivity and empathy working with individuals in challenging personal situations (strongly preferred)
• Experience with Academic Advising or counseling (an asset)
• Ability to work flexible hours during peak periods
This position includes full comprehensive benefits coverage, including tuition waiver. Applicants are invited to submit a resume and cover letter, including salary expectations, by applying online below by Thursday, June 20, 2013.
It is Brock University’s policy to give consideration to qualified internal applicants.
We appreciate all applications received; however, due to volume we will contact only those candidates selected for an interview.
Brock University is an equal opportunity employer.
Enter your information in the boxes below.