[ back ] [ print ]
|Posting #:||AP 34/2013|
|Posted:||May 31, 2013|
|Employment Status:||Permanent Full-Time|
|Department:||Human Resources and Environment, Health and Safety|
|Grade:||Job Group I|
|Salary Scale:||$36,599 - $53,358 per annum|
|Hours of Work:|
Our unique philosophy takes students beyond the pursuit of academic excellence. To achieve this philosophy we endeavour to take our employees beyond the pursuit of just a career. Brock is a place where left-brain and right-brain thinking come together. We encourage our employees to utilize their rational/analytical thinking in concert with their emotional/creative sides in order to have an engaging and rewarding career. We’re one of the fastest-growing universities in Ontario, with hundreds of millions of dollars committed to new construction and programs. We’re small enough to be intimate and big enough to attract world-class minds. Located at the centre of Canada's beautiful Niagara Peninsula, Brock offers an exciting work environment with strong undergraduate, graduate and interdisciplinary programs and a vigorous research culture. We are looking for qualified people who will bring their expertise and dedication in support of the University’s goals and objectives.
Reporting to the Manager, Pension/Benefits/Payroll, the Payroll Assistant works as part of the Payroll team taking procedural direction from the Payroll Officer. The Payroll Assistant is responsible for calculating, preparing, reviewing and administering payroll in an accurate and timely fashion.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Accurately creating employee records in the payroll system ensuring accuracy of entry by reviewing audit reports and making necessary corrections
• Setting up and updating personal data, job/department information, salary and account information, benefit and pension information, and payroll data such as general deductions, additional pay items, deposit and income tax information
• Reviewing and balancing bi-weekly and monthly payrolls ensuring employee pay data is accurate before the payroll file is confirmed and sent to the bank
• Reviewing payroll balancing reports and compare to back-up documentation and making corrections in the payroll system where necessary
• Organizing and filing backup documentation after balancing is complete and preparing necessary government remittances after payroll has been processed
• Responding in a timely fashion to payroll related inquiries from internal (employee’s and department contacts) and external contacts (CRA, Governing bodies, 3rd party providers), in person, telephone and email.
• Performing research where necessary to provide an accurate/satisfactory answer
• Dealing with sensitive/personal information in a confidential and professional manner
• Participating in special project assignments e.g. payroll system testing for upgrades, update and implementation of new functionality
• Preparing letters of employment and Records of Employment
• Assisting with year-end adjustments and corrections and record retention management
• Reviewing process and introducing efficiencies where applicable
• Other duties as assigned
The ideal candidate will have:
• Some college or University courses specifically related to payroll/business accounting or similar course of study
• Progressive payroll experience in a large-scale fast-paced environment
• Demonstrated experience and knowledge of payroll principles, practices and governing legislation and regulations
• Proven ability with various Payroll and/or Human resources Information Systems programs
• Strong desire to learn and adapt to new efficient processes
• Excellent organizational skills and ability to prioritize workload in a fast-paced environment with changing deadlines
• Proven ability to work effectively in an environment with sensitive and confidential information and situations
• Demonstrated analytical, problem solving skills with an innovative and solution focused approach
• Proven ability to introduce efficient processes in workflow with a keen eye for detail
• Solid computer competency including word processing, spreadsheet, database, web applications and web maintenance, social media and internet search engines
• Canadian Payroll Association Payroll Compliance Practitioner certification (PCP) or working towards a PCP (a definite asset)
This position includes full comprehensive benefits coverage, including tuition waiver. Applicants are invited to submit a resume and cover letter, including salary expectations, by applying online below by Friday, June 14, 2013. We will continue to accept applications until the positions are filled.
It is Brock University’s policy to give consideration to qualified internal applicants.
We appreciate all applications received; however, we will contact only those candidates selected for an interview.
Brock University is an equal opportunity employer.