[ back ] [ print ]
|Posting #:||AP 25/2013|
|Posted:||May 7, 2013|
|Employment Status:||Permanent Full-Time|
|Department:||Information Technology Services|
|Grade:||Job Group O|
|Salary Scale:||$64,818 - $99,756 per annum|
|Hours of Work:|
Our unique philosophy takes students beyond the pursuit of academic excellence. To achieve this philosophy we endeavour to take our employees beyond the pursuit of just a career. Brock is a place where left-brain and right-brain thinking come together. We encourage our employees to utilize their rational/analytical thinking in concert with their emotional/creative sides in order to have an engaging and rewarding career. We’re one of the fastest-growing universities in Ontario, with hundreds of millions of dollars committed to new construction and programs. We’re small enough to be intimate and big enough to attract world-class minds. Located at the centre of Canada's beautiful Niagara Peninsula, Brock offers an exciting work environment with strong undergraduate, graduate and interdisciplinary programs and a vigorous research culture. We are looking for qualified people who will bring their expertise and dedication in support of the University’s goals and objectives.
Brock University’s Information Technology Services (ITS) department provides students, faculty, and staff with technology resources that support teaching, research and services. These services include computer and network support, high performance computing, audio visual, telephone, administrative systems and portal access. Reporting to the Associate Vice-President, Information Technology and Chief Information Officer, the ITS Controller will provide strategic campus leadership on the development of best practices and framework-driven protocols for security, audit and process control functions.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Leading campus-wide IT security and IT control initiatives, recommending and supporting the development, implementation and enforcement of policies, standards, guidelines and safe practices for the University’s computing, networking and communications systems.
• Implementing COBIT-based systems quality assurance strategy and framework and Information Systems Security polices and framework
• Providing periodic and timely information with respect to current security status, industry and academic best practices and recommending a benefit/risk/cost analysis in line with the institution’s security goals and objectives
• Ensuring security and best practice awareness information/training is provided to faculty, staff and students
• Assisting key users to understand IT security and controls principles and practices, and identifying and responding to user needs applying information technology to meet security and control requirements
• Providing leadership and participating in initial on-campus implementation of technologies and practices, consulting with various departments to provide advice on how to utilize technology in a secure, reliable and stable IT environment
• Collaborating with ITS staff to identify system vulnerabilities and determining appropriate solutions
• Maintaining up-to-date information regarding security advisories, emerging trends and technologies and recommending appropriate improvements to policies, practices, and technologies
• Providing leadership and direction through researching, analyzing, evaluating, selecting and recommending best practice technology solutions
• Leading programs/projects related to technology operations and disaster recovery implementations including organizing, overseeing and assigning work to project teams, estimating costs, and monitoring project progress and costs to ensure projects are completed on time and within budget
• Ensuring proper controls and documentation are developed and maintained for the University’s application, telecommunications, network and computing environments
• Overseeing the investigation of actual and potential information technology security incidents
• Monitoring all production services, ensuring appropriate controls and tools are in place to protect infrastructure, applications and data from security breaches either internally or externally
• Implementing necessary technologies to assess threats of intrusion, security breaches, information leaks and antivirus threats
• Identifying and articulating control weaknesses and promoting compliance with appropriate processes, acting as subject matter expert on technology controls
• Developing long range plans and providing direction to enhance effectiveness and leading strategic planning process
• Other duties as required
The ideal candidate will have:
• Undergraduate degree in general audit, information systems and/or Computer Science, or equivalent industry experience
• Demonstrated experience in IT security, audit, risk management, general IT controls, design and development of IT processes including infrastructure and application layer
• Proven ability in analysis, design, development, implementation and maintenance of large, complex projects
• Strong ability to effectively communicate on highly technical topics with a wide range of people, including developing successful presentations across campus
• Excellent problem solving skills related to multiple applications, interfaces, databases, technologies and communications and ability to rapidly learn and apply new, highly technical skills
• Experience and proven success in operational planning and project portfolio management
• ITIL and/or COBIT certification and/or proven ability to work with information systems best practices, policies and procedure development
• Willingness and ability to remain current with computer technology and emerging relevant technologies
• Understanding of university’s systems and information requirements (strongly preferred)
• Project Management Professional Certification (preferred)
• Enterprise Architecture Certification (preferred)
This position includes full comprehensive benefits coverage, including tuition waiver. Applicants are invited to submit a resumé and cover letter, including salary expectations, by applying online below by Tuesday, May 14, 2013.
It is Brock University’s policy to give consideration to qualified internal applicants.
We appreciate all applications received; however, due to volume we will contact only those candidates selected for an interview.
Brock University is an equal opportunity employer.