[ back ] [ print ]
|Posting #:||AP 14/2013|
|Posted:||Mar 15, 2013|
|Employment Status:||Permanent Full-Time|
|Department:||Cool Climate Oenology and Viticulture Institute (CCOVI)|
|Grade:||Job Group L|
|Salary Scale:||$47,394 - $71,890 per annum|
|Hours of Work:|
Our unique philosophy takes students beyond the pursuit of academic excellence. To achieve this philosophy we endeavour to take our employees beyond the pursuit of just a career. Brock is a place where left-brain and right-brain thinking come together. We encourage our employees to utilize their rational/analytical thinking in concert with their emotional/creative sides in order to have an engaging and rewarding career. We’re one of the fastest-growing universities in Ontario, with hundreds of millions of dollars committed to new construction and programs. We’re small enough to be intimate and big enough to attract world-class minds. Located at the centre of Canada's beautiful Niagara Peninsula, Brock offers an exciting work environment with strong undergraduate, graduate and interdisciplinary programs and a vigorous research culture. We are looking for qualified people who will bring their expertise and dedication in support of the University’s goals and objectives.
Brock’s Cool Climate Oenology and Viticulture Institute (CCOVI) has established itself as a successful, internationally recognized research institute on cool climate viticulture, oenology, wine business and wine culture. Reporting to the Director of CCOVI, the CCOVI Technologist will run and maintain a service laboratory operation for testing grape juice and wine analysis in both research and commercial samples, with a focus on quality assurance.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Testing grape juice/wine analytes for both research samples and for commercial samples. Testing will include chemical titration reactions, enzymatic assays for grape juice/wine analysis, analysis using GC/MS, Foss Winescan, HPLC, sensory evaluation.
• Recording data and completing billing records
• Communicating report analysis results to industry and research customers
• Running quality assurance tests
• Ensuring analytical equipment within CCOVI is maintained in good working order and coordinating service for equipment as needed
• Scheduling the use of multi-user facilities within CCOVI
• Utilizing and managing a computerized scheduling system
• Assisting with CCOVI outreach activities such as workshops or conferences
• Co-ordinating contract research projects for CCOVI
• Other duties as assigned
The ideal candidate will have:
• Bachelor of Science degree in Oenology and Viticulture, Food Science, Chemistry or Biochemistry with proven experience in analyzing juice/wine samples
• Relevant graduate research degree, preferred
• Demonstrated experience in juice/wine analysis involving Gas-Chromatography-Mass Spectrometry, required
• Experience with High Performance Liquid Chromatography, FOSS Wine Scan, olfactometry and sensory evaluation, an asset
• Strong communication, customer service and organizational skills
• Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office applications
• Experience in quality assurance, report writing, database management, record keeping and writing standard operating procedures, an asset
This position includes full comprehensive benefits coverage, including tuition waiver. Applicants are invited to submit a resumé and cover letter, including salary expectations, by applying online below by Monday, April 1, 2013.
It is Brock University’s policy to give consideration to qualified internal applicants.
We appreciate all applications received; however, due to volume we will contact only those candidates selected for an interview.
Brock University is an equal opportunity employer.
Enter your information in the boxes below.