[ back ] [ print ]
|Posting #:||AP 12/2013|
|Posted:||Feb 26, 2013|
|Employment Status:||Permanent Full-Time|
|Department:||Community and Ancillary Services|
|Hours of Work:|
Our unique philosophy takes students beyond the pursuit of academic excellence. To achieve this philosophy we endeavour to take our employees beyond the pursuit of just a career. Brock is a place where left-brain and right-brain thinking come together. We encourage our employees to utilize their rational/analytical thinking in concert with their emotional/creative sides in order to have an engaging and rewarding career. We’re one of the fastest-growing universities in Ontario, with hundreds of millions of dollars committed to new construction and programs. We’re small enough to be intimate and big enough to attract world-class minds. Located at the centre of Canada's beautiful Niagara Peninsula, Brock offers an exciting work environment with strong undergraduate, graduate and interdisciplinary programs and a vigorous research culture. We are looking for qualified people who will bring their expertise and dedication in support of the University’s goals and objectives.
Reporting to the Executive Director, Community and Ancillary Services, the Director, Campus Store provides visionary and strategic leadership and management of a multi-functional, customer-focused retail operation within a university environment. Departments/functions within the Campus Store include: Brock Micro-Technology; Badger Shop; Custom Publishing/Special Orders; Cash Operations; Finance; Systems Operations; Web store; Clothing and Memorabilia; Stationery; Textbooks and Course Materials; Hamilton campus; Distance Education; General Books and Conferences/Author events; Shipping/Receiving; Marketing and Communications.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Developing and implementing long-term plans and providing overall direction to enhance effectiveness and participating in strategic planning with senior administrators
• Directing the financial and human resources of a large, multiple-function customer service-focused operation, including: hiring, training, supervising management staff, overseeing departmental units through supervisors and planning professional development of Campus Store staff members to ensure high quality, competitive services
• Forecasting revenues and expenditures of a large ancillary operation; directing and overseeing the preparation of Campus Store fiscal reports; developing, preparing, and reviewing Campus Store budgets including formulating pricing policies, maximizing supplier discounts, determining staffing requirements
• Establishing operational and administrative policies and procedures for implementation and providing advice/direction to supervisory staff members with respect to policies, planning of new systems and procedures, staffing, operating budget requirements to ensure exceptional operational standards
• Developing leading edge strategies to accommodate advances and changes to industry and providing effective, value-added services to meet the current and emerging needs of the University community; continuously reviewing and improving the quality of Campus Store policies and products and the effectiveness of services; developing and promoting new product lines and programs based upon University needs and strategic goals
• Planning and directing space allocation for appropriate physical layout, maximizing storage, office and product spacing for a growing retail operation
• Advising the Executive Director, Community and Ancillary Services regarding issues and needs of the Campus Store regarding budgetary items or new initiatives; preparing and presenting reports to University departments and committees as required.
• Networking with faculties, departments, local, provincial and national retail/Campus Store organizations and attending related conferences and workshops to ensure the University community needs are met
• Negotiating contracts with vendors balancing cost and quality requirements
• Overseeing the marketing function of the Campus Store operations and responsible for overall design, organization and implementation of marketing and promotional activities
• Overseeing security and loss prevention programs within the operation
• Working with senior administration on special projects as required
• Serving on University committees as required
• Serving on Industry Trade Association Boards and Strategic Business Organizations
• Other duties as assigned
The ideal candidate will have:
• A degree or diploma from a recognized College or University in a Business Administration/Marketing or a related field, required
• Progressively responsible experience in retail, marketing and management, required
• Experience in a university/college store environment, preferred
• Experience buying, negotiating contracts, researching, organizing and implementing major companywide projects
• Demonstrated experience with financial accountability, forecasting and budget development
• Proven ability to implement effective policy, procedures and process
• Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to tactfully and efficiently handle problems and issues by providing appropriate solutions
• Ability to motivate employees, as well as internal and external stakeholders, towards a common goal
• Well-developed project management skills to organize multidisciplinary professional activities into a coordinated operational effort
• Demonstrated familiarity with Canadian copyright legislation, trends and best practices and compliance, and its application in an academic environment
This position includes full comprehensive benefits coverage, including tuition waiver. Applicants are invited to submit a resume and cover letter, including salary expectations, by applying online below by Wednesday, March 13, 2013.
It is Brock University’s policy to give consideration to qualified internal applicants.
We appreciate all applications received; however, due to volume we will contact only those candidates selected for an interview.
Brock University is an equal opportunity employer.