[ back ] [ print ]
|Posting #:||AP 09/2013|
|Posted:||Feb 14, 2013|
|Employment Status:||Permanent Full-Time|
|Department:||Information Technology Services|
|Grade:||Job Group L|
|Salary Scale:||$47,394 - $71,980 per annum|
|Hours of Work:|
We’re one of the fastest-growing universities in Ontario, with hundreds of millions of dollars committed to new construction and programs. We’re small enough to be intimate and big enough to attract world-class minds. Located at the centre of Canada's beautiful Niagara Peninsula, Brock offers an exciting work environment with strong undergraduate, graduate and interdisciplinary programs and a vigorous research culture. We are looking for qualified people who will bring their expertise and dedication in support of the University’s goals and objectives.
Reporting to the Manager, Infrastructure Group, the Intermediate Systems Administrator uses systems analysis skills to design, implement and support technical solutions to support the University’s teaching, research, and service mission.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Resolving complex and comprehensive IT problems and collaborating regularly with various IT groups to implement IT projects
• Supporting web-based, real time systems relating to student data, communications, research, and other administrative areas, as well as SQL servers, application servers, web servers, virtualization servers, file servers, email servers, Active Directory services etc.
• Serving as a lead analyst/project leader for infrastructure and development projects for the ITS Infrastructure, integrating and directing the work of other team members and collaborating with campus partners to ensure compatibility across systems
• Providing systems support to application development to ensure proper integration and security of systems such as (not limited to): MySQL/MSSQL, Active Directory, and IIS/Apache/Tomcat, MS Exchange, Blackberry Enterprise Server, Linux sendmail
• Managing, recommending, implementing and documenting strategies for securing all aspects of Brock’s computing resources including servers, operating systems, firewalls, authentication, etc., while working with central University security and compliance officers to enhance and streamline Brock’s information systems
• Reviewing, evaluating, recommending, implementing, and maintaining solutions for improved functionality of both hardware and software services within the University infrastructure
• Developing, implementing and documenting server policies, procedures and standards, seeking input and advising others in Brock’s IT community as necessary
• Installing, configuring, securing, managing, documenting, and maintaining systems management and monitoring suite(s), server systems including hardware and software for SQL servers, application servers, web servers, virtualization servers (Hyper-V and VMWare), file servers, email servers, Terminal servers, Active Directory services, iSCSI and FC disk arrays, etc.
• All other related duties as required and assigned by the Manager, Infrastructure Group
The ideal candidate will have:
• Demonstrated experience configuring, monitoring and maintaining Unix/Linux/Windows-based database servers in a multi-server environment, including hardware and software for SQL servers, application servers, web servers, virtualization servers (Hyper-V), file servers, Exchange server, sendmail server, Terminal servers, Active Directory services, etc.
• Proven ability with system and application security including SQL, IIS/Apache/Tomcat, and Active Directory
• Solid Windows/Linux Cross-platform experience, required
• Demonstrated ability to analyze complex computer problems, technical proposals and to expand upon them or develop alternatives and integrate emerging technologies into current environment
• Applied knowledge of a broad range of relevant multi-user computer systems, applications, equipment, relevant network technology & protocols, and current technological developments/trends
• Ability to install, configure, secure, manage, and maintain computer systems and implement custom applications
• Proven ability to script or code tools required for system administration tasks, using current development tools
• Previous experience with MSSQL Server and MySQL
• Demonstrated knowledge of printing protocols, computer security procedures and protocols
• Effective verbal and written communication skills
• A team oriented attitude with the ability to work independently
• Proven ability to work with multiple users, vendors and various team members
• Basic understanding of the University’s systems and information requirements preferred
• Strong time management and the ability to work well under tight deadlines
• Applied Knowledge of Microsoft Exchange, Blackberry Enterprise Server, Hyper-V, Failover Clusters.
This position includes full comprehensive benefits coverage, including tuition waiver. Applicants are invited to submit a resume and cover letter, including salary expectations, by applying online below by Monday, March 4, 2013.
It is Brock University’s policy to give consideration to qualified internal applicants.
We appreciate all applications received; however, due to volume we will contact only those candidates selected for an interview.
Brock University is an equal opportunity employer.