[ back ] [ print ]
|Posting #:||AP 02/2013|
|Posted:||Jan 22, 2013|
|Employment Status:||Term Full-Time (2-year with possible renewal)|
|Department:||Cool Climate Oenology and Viticulture Institute|
|Grade:||Job Group O|
|Salary Scale:||$64,818 - $99,756|
|Hours of Work:|
Brock University’s Cool Climate Oenology and Viticulture Institute (CCOVI) has established itself as a successful, internationally recognized research institute on cool climate viticulture, oenology, wine business and wine culture. We are currently seeking applications for a Senior Staff Scientist in Oenology, specializing in Wine Flavour Chemistry, to support research and outreach activities in CCOVI. Reporting to the Director of CCOVI, 50% of the time will be devoted to applied research in oenology on issues relevant to the Canadian grape and wine industry, and 50% on outreach activities to support the grape and wine industry in the Niagara Region of Ontario and across Canada. Responsibilities will include: providing research support for funded research programs; liaising with industry winemakers; collaborating with CCOVI faculty researchers; drafting competitive, multidisciplinary grant proposals; recruiting students to assist in research; communicating research results through seminars, summary documents, peer-reviewed papers and individual consultation; developing workshops; responding to inquiries; problem-solving; assisting researchers with sample analysis; and providing training on advanced analytical techniques, such as GC/MS. The establishment of an externally funded research program with supervision of undergraduate and graduate students is expected.
The ideal candidate will possess:
• A PhD in a relevant discipline (Chemistry, Biochemistry, Food Science, Oenology and Viticulture);
• Knowledge in advanced analytical techniques for grape and wine analysis using equipment such as GC/MS, GC/MS/Olfactometry, HPLC, and FOSS WineScan;
• The ability to maintain or troubleshoot problems with advanced analytical equipment;
• Effective communication skills combined with excellent problem solving abilities and innovative solutions;
• Demonstrated success attaining grant money and solving wine production problems;
• Awareness of issues relevant to the local grape and wine industry preferred, as is experience working with industry on wine production problems.
This position includes full comprehensive benefits coverage. The two-year position may be renewable pending budgetary approval. Further information about CCOVI can be found at www.brocku.ca/ccovi/. Review of applications will begin on February 18, 2013 and will continue until suitable candidates have been identified. Applicants are invited to submit a resume and cover letter, including a research plan, a statement of outreach activity plans, reprints of several recent publications, the names of three references, and salary expectations, quoting the vacancy number to email@example.com or to Human Resources and Environment, Health and Safety, BROCK UNIVERSITY, St. Catharines ON L2S 3A1.
Visit us at: brocku.ca/hr
It is Brock University’s policy to give consideration to qualified internal applicants.
We appreciate all applications received; however, we will only contact those candidates selected for an interview.
Brock University is an equal opportunity employer.