[ back ] [ print ]
|Posting #:||OP 01/2014|
|Posted:||Apr 11, 2014|
|Employment Status:||Part-time (4 months April 28, 2014 – August 22, 2014)|
|Hours of Work:||20-35 hours/week|
Cultural Assistant’s (CA’s) will provide assistance in three areas of ESL Services; the central reception of the International Centre, Homestay and activities. The ICA will provide assistance in handling all prospective International/ESL inquiries. The ICA will report on possible orientation and survey results for student improvement. The ICA will become familiar in working with individuals from various cultures and increase international cultural awareness through direct contact with various international members of the Brock community. The ICA will work alongside the staff in ESL Services and also become familiar with the various International Offices located in the brand new International Center.
We are fortunate to be housed in a new building, the International Centre that neighbours with International Services, International Market Development, Brock International, The Confucius Institute and the Department of Classics. The second floor of the International Center staffs a reception area that is the front line to visitors to the building.
We are looking for students who are enthusiastic about the International world, who would like to improve upon their interactive skills. The successful candidate should have a strong grasp of the English language, be able to problem-solve productively, conduct themselves professionally and enjoy being part of a team.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Compile and present, using Prezi presentation software for activity updates to students in class
• Promote and educate students on various activity and volunteer opportunities that arise
• Attend activities to assist with students
• Facilitate recreational activities such as hikes and sports
• Create publications for the various student related areas (activities, homestay, volunteer sector)
• Protect and handle confidential information in an extremely professional way
• Interact with students on activities
• Promote English language discussion among ESL learners through conversation
• Assist with activity, volunteer and homestay communication
• Answering questions from prospective international/ESL students, staff, instructors and visitors to the IC
• Develop a working knowledge of the policies, procedures and protocols in order to provide varied client services to the international community, upon request
• Provide support in updating ESL communication materials
• Developing suggestions for orientation material for incoming ESL students
• Assist with collecting data and statistics that result from student surveys or focus group outcomes
• Help to organize and assist with cultural excursions both on campus and off campus, including assisting students from the IELP with their transition into programs on campus
• Assist with cultural excursions
• Interviews selected “Student of the Week” for publication
• Assisting with ‘Caught Speaking English” procedures of draws and campaign promotion
Training and skills to be provided:
• The CA will train with all student service staff in ESL Services
• Written material in the form of a manual for new staff is available and part of the orientation process of new CA's
• This position will add to communication skills and patience assisting with developing patience
• Interaction with 2nd language speakers and families is common and thus intercultural communication will be developed
• Organizational skills and thoroughness of task completions are important in this position
• Leading group excursions as well as focus groups is expected, this allowing for leadership opportunities regularly
• Team atmosphere is often part of the setting, along with a need for the ability to be a self-starter
• Computer skills (word processing, publishing, outlook, excel, and power point)will be used regularly
Experience in International Education and ESL, an asset. Bilingualism preferred.
Please submit availability (including class schedule), a cover letter, resume and the names of three references by no later than Thursday, April 24, 2014 to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We appreciate all applications received from candidates; however, we will only contact those candidates selected for an interview.
Brock University is an equal opportunity employer committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environment. We will accommodate the needs of the applicants and the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) throughout all stages of the recruitment and selection process. Please advise the Human Resources Department to ensure your accessibility needs are accommodated through this process. Information received relating to accommodation measure will be addressed confidentially.