[ back ] [ print ]
|Posting #:||OP 10/2013|
|Posted:||Sep 26, 2013|
|Employment Status:||Term Part-Time (3 months) with possibility of renewal|
|Hours of Work:||(20 hours/week approximately)|
Our unique philosophy takes students beyond the pursuit of academic excellence. To achieve this philosophy we endeavour to take our employees beyond the pursuit of just a career. Brock is a place where left-brain and right-brain thinking come together. We encourage our employees to utilize their rational/analytical thinking in concert with their emotional/creative sides in order to have an engaging and rewarding career. We’re one of the fastest-growing universities in Ontario, with hundreds of millions of dollars committed to new construction and programs. We’re small enough to be intimate and big enough to attract world-class minds. Located at the centre of Canada's beautiful Niagara Peninsula, Brock offers an exciting work environment with strong undergraduate, graduate and interdisciplinary programs and a vigorous research culture. We are looking for qualified people who will bring their expertise and dedication in support of the University’s goals and objectives.
Reporting to the Assistant Manager Learning Services, and under management of the Learning Services Manager, the Learning Skills Instructor will work with other Learning Skills staff to develop and facilitate programming tailored to meet the unique needs of students in all disciplines, seeking learning support, particularly in the science courses and also courses requiring intensive writing.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Consulting with individual students to identify and evaluate needs for effective study skills and strategies
• Providing one-on-one assistance and coaching in proven learning strategies, particularly for science-based coursework and writing
• Providing appropriate follow-up with students and identifying referral opportunities as required
• Creating, revising and presenting appropriate workshop material
• Promoting and evaluating these programs and working with other Learning Skills Instructors to develop, promote and present in-class presentations
• Coordinating activities of the student Learning Skills Assistants
• Performing other related duties as required
The ideal candidate will have:
• A science-based undergraduate university degree, a Bachelor of Education Degree (Senior level), as well as a Master’s Degree or equivalent combination of education and experience
• Demonstrated familiarity with a range of academic experiences, experience teaching core science principles to post-secondary students
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
• Sound knowledge of the reading/writing process as well as other learning skills
• Experience working with students with disabilities and ESL learners (an asset)
Applicants are invited to submit a resume and cover letter, including salary expectations, by applying online below by October 4, 2013.
It is Brock University’s policy to give consideration to qualified internal applicants.
We appreciate all applications received; however, we will contact only those candidates selected for an interview.
Brock University is an equal opportunity employer committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environment. We will accommodate the needs of the applicants and the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) throughout all stages of the recruitment and selection process. Please advise the Human Resources Department to ensure your accessibility needs are accommodated through this process. Information received relating to accommodation measure will be addressed confidentially.