[ back ] [ print ]
|Posted:||Feb 6, 2013|
|Employment Status:||Permanent Full-Time|
|Department:||Facilities Management, Grounds Crew|
|Salary Scale:||$27.30/hour plus 10% leadhand premium|
|Hours of Work:||40 hours / weeks|
We’re one of the fastest-growing universities in Ontario, with hundreds of millions of dollars committed to new construction and programs. We’re small enough to be intimate and big enough to attract world-class minds. Located at the centre of Canada's beautiful Niagara Peninsula, Brock offers an exciting work environment with strong undergraduate, graduate and interdisciplinary programs and a vigorous research culture. We are looking for qualified people who will bring their expertise and dedication in support of the University’s goals and objectives.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Leadhand Horticultural Technician reports directly to the Manager, Grounds Services. During the active garden season this position will be Leadhand and will be responsible for the effective coordination and expedition of work related to the development and maintenance of the grounds, gardens, and pavement predominately of the University’s Rodman Hall site (which includes the Walker Botanical Gardens) as well as other satellite campuses. During the winter season the position will be a Horticultural Technician at the Main Campus and Leadhand as assigned.
• Providing horticultural expertise and hands-on work activity specific to the maintenance and development of The Walker Botanical Garden, the plants and landscape amenities of the gardens
• Supervising assigned resources (co-op students, Brock Grounds staff, contract resources, and volunteers)
• Performing maintenance of campus turf and athletic fields, including: lawn mowing, trimming, edging, fertilizing, aerating, over-seeding, topdressing, irrigating, lining out and marking athletic fields, grading and sodding
• Performing maintenance and repairs to roads, walkways, paths, trails, entryways and parking lots, including sweeping, snow removal, salting, patching asphalt
• Operating heavy equipment and machinery
• Providing plant culture and maintenance
• Ensuring campus grounds are clean and orderly by collecting and properly disposing of litter and various other items and removing graffiti and unauthorized postings
• Providing information to campus visitors as required
• Other duties as assigned
The ideal candidate will have:
• Horticulture Diploma
• Ontario Landscape Exterminator License
• Class “D” Ontario Driver’s license with valid Air Brake (Z) Endorsement and good driving record (MOT abstract required)
• Chainsaw Certificate and Irrigation Certification are assets
• Four Years related experience that demonstrates related year-round landscaping, grounds maintenance and snow and ice control
• Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively and to work independently and as part of a team
• Ability to work in adverse weather conditions
Applicants are invited to email a resume and cover letter, quoting the posting number to email@example.com or to Human Resources and Environment, Health & Safety, BROCK UNIVERSITY, St. Catharines ON L2S 3A1, by Monday, February 11, 2013.
Visit us at: brocku.ca/hr
It is Brock University’s policy to give consideration to qualified internal Brock University CUPE 1295 applicants.
We appreciate all applications received; however, we will contact only those candidates selected for an interview.
Brock University is an equal opportunity employer.