Written by: Sandy Howe
As we head into the Thanksgiving long weekend and Reading Week on campus, I hope, looking back, that you can easily think of a few things you are grateful for. For me, this is simple:
- friends and loved ones that I love spending time with or catching up with when we’re far apart
- my personal wellness (mental and physical) and the ability to be happy, choose a positive outlook on life, smell the fresh fall air, and try all kinds of fun new things
- live in an area where I have access to more great things to do and experience than I could ever find time for!
This list obviously doesn’t include all the little things that make life so sweet: great music to sing out loud in the shower (where I sound like a superstar), warm homemade cookies, a good belly laugh, and dogs…I love dogs. This is just the icing on the cake and taking time each day to appreciate these things, whatever they may be for you, is key.
Going back to my list, just because it’s a holiday weekend certainly doesn’t mean that everyone stays in and eats themselves into a turkey coma – there is still plenty to do in Niagara! Here are a few things to keep in mind if you have time to get out this week:
- Ball’s Falls Thanksgiving Festival – Friday-Monday, October 10-13 from 9am-5pm in Jordan, ON ($6 to enter). Join over 130 artisans and exhibitors (find some really creative, beautiful items), gourmet food vendors, wine makers and craft beer brewers at one of the region’s largest shows. Be part of the Thanksgiving spirit at Ball’s Falls as the festival celebrates its 40th year!
- Canal Bank Shuffle Blues Festival – Thursday –Sunday, October 16-19 in Thorold, ON. Take in a few of more than 30 blues shows over four days and support local charities with the proceeds from your ticket. Visit the website for the schedule, locations, and where to pick up tickets.
- Opening Ceremony of the Meridian Centre – Saturday, October 11 (downtown St. Catharines). Join the Niagara community at the big reveal of our brand new, $50 million facility that will host the IceDogs (our OHL team), concerts, conventions and more!
- Niagara IceDogs Home Opener – Thursday, October 16 at 7:00pm (downtown St. Catharines). Not only come out for a great night of hockey as the IceDogs battle Belleville (and the IceDogs have some game!), but also be sure to check-out the brand new Meridian Centre – Home of the IceDogs.
Have a wonderful Thanksgiving weekend and enjoy getting out to #ExploreNiagara!