Written by: Coby Fewings
Relationships take work to keep them healthy and happy and one of the best tools to keep them that way is compromise. It is very important for both parties to pick their battles, disagreements are inevitable. It is how we deal with them that will heavily influence the big picture in this case our relationships.
Pick your battles
- It would be easy to feel hurt every time you disagreed, even easier would be to feel like you needed to be right in every situation.
- What is harder is to realize is when a specific argument is not worth fighting for, and that it is your turn to throw the towel in and go to the other persons side.
- A key to this first piece of advice is that both sides are willing to pick their battles. Otherwise one person will always feel like they are the one making sacrifices which will likely result in them being resentful.
- By picking your battles you may also end up having the decisions that mean more to you go your way.
- It is important to remember that being right is not the most important thing.
Try and put yourself in the other persons shoes
- One of the best pieces of advice I can give anyone is to step back in any given situation and try and see it from the other person’s point of view. This allows you to get more perspective on the situation and may change your opinion.
- This is not always the easiest thing to do and may take some practice.
- Again important that both parties at least try and do this.
Using these two important tools in relationships with (significant others or even close friends), will give you a much better chance of keeping relationships healthy and fun.
Keep Calm and compromise on!