Written by: Sandy Howe
Staying in Niagara for summer? You have made an excellent choice! Whether you know some people staying as well, or are taking a leap of independence and navigating the summer on your own, you’re in for some good times.
Our great region has plenty to offer, especially when the sun comes out and the vineyards bloom. There are plenty of festivals, concerts, music and art, as well as food trucks, craft beer, wine, and even some sporty stuff to check out!
With the sunny day today, let’s kick-off summer with some great things coming up in Niagara for the remainder of April:
- Mumford & Sons are headlining the Concert at the Barracks – Niagara-on-the-Lake and The Commons at Butler’s Barracks National Historic Site) has been home to some great past concerts including The Tragically Hip and City and Colour and can host huge crowds of upwards of 20,000 people. This year, Mumford & Sons will be playing their only concert east of Alberta here in our own backyard. If you’re a fan, flag Monday, June 15 because this event is a big one and get your tickets while they’re hot (they went on sale at 10am today)!
- “Spring into Wellness” expo at Heartland Forest – Saturday, April 18 10:00am-5:00pm ($5)
While this one takes a car to get to, it might be worth the trip. Interact with vendors and demonstrators to learn and try out things like essential oils, natural make-up, Feng Shui, yoga, herbal teas, crystals, jewelry, nutrition and more. Get a head massage, relaxation massage, reiki or reflexology treatment or talk to a life coach, naturopath, aromatherapist or do a yoga class and spend some time focusing on wellness for the mind, body, and spirit. This is a great way of fitting in some personal balance between those final exams and papers!
- In the Soil Arts Festival – Friday – Sunday, April 24-26 – Join the 3 day explosion of creativity featuring over 150 acts and installations in theatre, music, dance, media, streetscape and interactive art that take over the St. Catharines downtown core. Check the schedule for what’s happening where
- Park Trash Bash with Friends of Short Hills – Saturday, April 25 at 9:00am. Looking to volunteer for a good cause? Meet at 9:00am at Jackson Flat (2894 First Street Louth, St. Catharines) to help clean the perimeter of the Short Hills park, as well as parking lots. This is a great way to get some fresh air now that spring is here, but remember to come prepared in sturdy shoes, long pants and with gloves. Coffee will be available and this event typically wraps up around noon, but feel free to head out when you need to.
- Free yoga at the Niagara Falls History Museum – Thursday, April 30 at 7pm or catch a “karma class” at Moksha Yoga (Glenridge) every Friday at 7pm, which you can do without having to buy a membership. Simply bring a donation and the proceeds from this weekly class go to a different local organization each month (April’s proceeds go to Big Brothers Big Sisters).
Whether you’re still focused on final exams and papers and need a study break (remember: taking healthy breaks helps you process and retain information!), or looking for something to do, take some time to get out and #ExploreNiagara!
Welcome to a great summer in a great area!