Written by: Sandy Howe
Take advantage of summer with these great upcoming events:
- Winona Peach Festival – Friday-Sunday, August 28-30 (Friday 5-11pm, Saturday 10am-11pm, Sunday 10am-6pm) at Winona Park (parking available at Puddicombe Estates – 1469 Hwy 8)
Check out this great display off peaches, peach baked goods and ice cream treats, arts and crafts, music and much more!
- Niagara Garlic Festival – Saturday, August 29, 10am-4pm at Neob Niagara (758 Niagara Stone Rd., NOTL)
It’s a stinky time at the garlic festival! Come out and join more than 2,000 others for a day filled with garlic demos, greenhouse tours, arts and crafts and shopping. $3 admission.
- Greenbelt Harvest Picnic – Saturday, August 29 at Christie Lake Conservation Area (1000 Hwy 5 West, Dundas, ON). Gates open at 11am, show begins at 12pm.
Take in great music from artists including The Arkells, Gordon Lightfoot, The Rural Alberta Advantage, Basia Bulat and many more. Concert goers will also be able to enjoy a local farmers market, horticultural workshops, art vendors, food and beverage areas, fishing, swimming and good old fashioned picnicking. Visit the website for ticket information.
- Niagara Diner En Blanc – Sunday, August 30 at 6pm (rain or shine) at a surprise location!
The most elegant picnic in the world is coming to Niagara with this mass chic picnic held in a public space. This originated more than 27 years ago in Paris and now happens in cities around the globe. Participants dress head to toe in white, bringing their dinner, dinnerware (no plastic or paper) and table decor (also white) and at the last minute, are given directions to where they will meet shuttle buses taking them to the secret, surprise dinner location. While the “White Effect Dinner” has been held at Queenston Heights in Niagara for a couple of years, this is a whole new experience! Visit the website for tickets ($37), which includes bus transportation to the venue and a night of live music and several contests and join in this dinner seating 800 here in the region. Where do you think it will be?!
- “First Fridays” at Niagara Museums – next Friday, September 4 from 7-10pm at the Port Colborne Historical and Marine Museum.
First Fridays focuses on reaching out to new audiences while raising awareness of Niagara’s local history. The series will be hosted at various museums throughout the Region, and will run on the First Friday of every month through December 2015. Switching it up every month with a different theme and new surprises, First Fridays kicks it off with the Port Colborne Bootlegger Ball on Friday, September 4th, 2015 from 7pm to 10pm. Treat yourself to drinks and appetizers from The Smokin’ Buddha as you explore the latest exhibitions, and enjoy live music on-site. Advance tickets are available at each of the museums listed above for $10 or can be purchased at the door, the night of the event.
Have a great week and enjoy getting out to #ExploreNiagara!