- Faculty and Staff
- Institutional Analysis and Planning
- Brock Acronyms Guide
- Brock Facts
- Common University Data Ontario
- Enrolment Reports (Head counts, FTEs)
- Data Request Form
- Advisory Committee on Institutional Data (ACID)
- Performance Funding Indicators
- Quality Assurance
- Procurement Services
- Research Accounting
- Financial Accounting Tools
- Forms & Related Documents
- University Financial Information
- Policies and Procedures
- Inservice (AQ)
- Teacher Education
- Miscellaneous Fees
- Overdue Accounts
- Tax Certificates
- Request a Refund
Dr. Juan Xu, Director
Institutional Analysis and Planning
Dr. Juan Xu, Director
In September 2012, Juan was appointed Director of Institutional Analysis and Planning at Brock University, after 7 years as Manager of the Office. She first joined the University as a Senior Research Analyst in February 2004. Prior to Brock, Juan was a Research Associate at the State University of New York-Plattsburgh from 2001-2004. Juan holds a PhD degree in Educational Leadership and Higher Education with a minor in Management Information Systems from University of Nebraska-Lincoln.
The Office of Institutional Analysis and Planning works collaboratively with academic and administrative units at all levels of the university to support financial and institutional planning, decision-making and accountability by providing financial and statistical expertise and analysis. Juan is responsible for providing leadership to this process and for ensuring the consistency, integrity, and accuracy of the information and analyses provided by the Office. She is actively involved in developing annual enrolment and revenue projections which inform the university’s operating budget. She also acts as a resource to senior administration in enrolment and budget planning, government funding policies, and resource allocation.
Juan represents Brock University at the Council of Ontario Universities (COU)’s Council on University Planning and Analysis (CUPA). As such, she serves as a liaison with the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities and COU on issues relating to enrolment, government funding and related reporting requirements. Juan is also an active contributing member to various campus committees, including the Advisory Committee on Institutional Data, the Resource Allocation Working Group, and the NSSE Steering Committee.
Juan actively pursues professional development opportunities and has made presentations at national and international conferences. She also supports professional associations including the Canadian Institutional Research and Planning Association (CIRPA) and the Association for Institutional Research (AIR) by volunteering at conferences, reviewing proposals, and taking officer positions.
- 2012-present: Director, Institutional Analysis and Planning, Brock University
- 2005-2012: Manager, Institutional Analysis, Brock University
- 2004-2005: Senior Research Analyst, Institutional Planning and Analysis, Brock University
- 2001–2004: Research Associate, Office of Institutional Research, State University of New York-Plattsburgh
- 1998–2001: Research and Teaching Assistant, University of Nebraska-Lincoln
- 1992–1998: Senior Science & Technology Research Program Officer, Postsecondary Education Branch, Heilongjiang Provincial Education Bureau, China
- Ph.D. – University of Nebraska-Lincoln
- M.Eng. – Harbin Institute of Technology (China)
- B.Eng. - Harbin Institute of Technology (China)
- Recognized by the Canadian Institutional Research and Planning Association as being among “the first [three] members to be featured in the Association for Institutional Research Professional File”, CIRPA News, June, 2009.
- Summer Data Policy Institute Fellowship sponsored by the US National Center of Educational Statistics, National Science Foundation, and Association for Institutional Research, June 25-July 2, 2006, Bolger Center in Potomac, Maryland, USA.
Publications and Presentations
- Xu, J. & Gonzalez, K. (2010). How Much Has Each Academic Faculty Helped in Generating Institutional Revenues: Brock University’s Approach. Presented at the 19th Annual Conference Canadian Institutional Research and Planning Association, Oct. 22-24, 2010, Ottawa, Ontario.
- Xu, J. (2008). Using the IPEDS Peer Analysis System in Peer Group Selection. Paper published in Association for Institutional Research Professional File, No. 110, Winter 2008.
- Xu, J. & Gallagher, G. External Data Exchanges: Opportunities for Establishing Internal Measurement. Presented at the 17th Annual Conference Canadian Association of Institutional Research and Planning Association, Oct. 22-24, 2008, Quebec City, Quebec.
- Xu, J. (2007). Using the IPEDS-PAS in US Peer Group Selection for a Canadian University. Paper presented at the 47th Forum Association for Institutional Research, June 2-6, 2007, Kansas City, Missouri, USA.
- Xu, J. (2006) Using IPEDS in US Peer Group Selection for a Canadian University. Project presented at the 15th Annual Conference Canadian Institutional Research and Planning Association, August 20-23, 2006, St. Catharines, Ontario.
- Beard, P., Xu, J. & Gallagher, G. (2005). Enrolment Projections: A Technical and Collaborative Endeavour. Presented at the 14th Annual Conference Canadian Institutional Research and Planning Association, October 23-25, 2005, Edmonton, Alberta.
- Xu, J. (2005). Chinese Students’ Adaptation to Learning in an American University: A Multiple Case Study. Paper Presented at the 45th Forum Association for Institutional Research Forum, May 30–June 1, 2005, San Diego, California, USA