Dr. Vincenzo De Luca
Professor of Biological Sciences/Plant Biochemistry
Tier 1 Canada Research Chair in Plant Biotechnology
Faculty of Mathematics and Science, Brock University, St. Catharines, Ont.
Phone: 905-688-5550 x4554
Office: MC F240
BSc (Honours) Biology, Concordia University, Montréal, PQ
MSc (Plant Biochemistry) Biology, Queen's University, Kingston, Ont.
PhD (Plant Biochemistry) Chemistry, Concordia University, Montréal, PQ
Plant Growth and Development
Plant and microbial biotechnology
Mechanisms in Plant Biochemistry
Current Topics in Basic and Applied Plant Biology
Functional genomics and metabolomics of secondary metabolism in grape vines and in various medicinal such as the Madagascar Periwinkle. Applications of knowledge for improvement of wine quality parameters and to enhance production of valuable medicinal products.
Selected Publications and Presentations
- Chaudhary, V., H. Leisch, A. Moudra, B. Allen, V. De Luca, D.P. Cox, and T. Hudlicky. 2009. Biotransformations of morphine alkaloids by fungi: N-demethylations, oxidations, and reductions. Czech. Chem. Commun., 74: 1179–1193.
- Facchini, Peter and De Luca, Vincenzo (2008) Opium poppy and Madagascar periwinkle: model non-model systems to investigate alkaloid biosynthesis in plants. Plant Journal, 54: 763-784.
- Murata, Jun, Jonathan Roepke, Heather Gordon and Vincenzo De Luca (2008) The leaf epidermome of Catharanthus roseus reveals its biochemical specialization. Plant Cell 10.1105/tpc.107.056630 p 1-19, 2008.
- Levac, Dylan, Jun Murata and Vincenzo De Luca (2008) Application of carborundum abrasion for investigating leaf epidermis: Molecular cloning of Catharanthus roseus 16-hydroxytabersonine-16-O-methyltransferse. Plant Journal 53: 225-236.
- Magnotta, M, J Murata, J Chen and V De Luca (2007) Metabolic engineering of Catharanthus roseus hairy roots expressing Deacetylvindoline-4-O-acetyltransferase. Phytochemistry 68: 1922–1931.
- Hall, D and V De Luca (2007) Mesocarp localization of a bifunctional resveratrol/hydroxycinnamic acid glucosyltransferase of Concord grape (Vitis labrusca). Plant Journal 49: 579-591
- Murata, J, JE Brandle, CW. Sensen and V De Luca (2006); Expressed sequenced tags from Madagascar Periwinkle (Catharanthus roseus). FEBS Letters 580: 4501-4507
- J Chen, DE Hall, Jun Murata & V De Luca (2006) L-Alanine induces programmed cell death in Vitis labrusca cell suspension cultures. Plant Science 171: 734-744.
- J Wang & V De Luca (2005) The biosynthesis and regulation of Concord grape fruit esters, including “Foxy” methyl anthranilate. Plant Journal 44: 606-619.