Triggs International Premium Vinifera Lecture Series
Brock University launched in 2004 a lecture series intended to attract and showcase world leaders in the cultivation of premium vinifera grapes thanks to a generous donation by Don and Elaine Triggs to the University's Cool Climate Oenology and Viticulture Institute.
In 2011 the lecture series spread its outreach to include the grape and wine regions of both Ontario and British Columbia. The expanded lecture series has helped create an invaluable networking opportunity for the grape and wine industry across Canada. To help ensure that the event could be held in both provinces, BASF Canada, a company that provides crop protection products to the grape industry, stepped in to sponsor costs associate with making it a national event.
The series provides those interested or directly involved in the business of grape growing, viticulture and winemaking, as well as students and faculty, with access to the most current developments in viticulture.
Dr. Kobus Hunter - 2013 presenter for the Triggs International Premium Vinifera Lecture Series for both Ontario and British Columbia. His Topic will be: Ways to manage quality under erratic environmental conditions.
"The grapevine is an extremely forgiving entity, but with great potential for product excellence - achieving the latter requires understanding and skill from both viticulturists and winemakers," says Hunter.
Ontario lecutre slides can be viewed here.
The video of the Ontario lecture can be watched here.
British Columbia lecture slides can be viewed here.
Schedule for Ontario:
- Wednesday, August 21 - Vineyard Visits and Technical Workshop (site 1 map here)
- Thursday, August 22 - Public Lecture (7:30 pm, Academic South Room 215, Brock University)
- Flyer for Ontario
- Campus Map for Public Lecture
Schedule for British Columbia:
- Tuesday, August 27 - Vineyard Visits and Technical Workshop
- Wednesday, August 28 - Public Lecture (7:30 pm, PARC, 4200 Hwy 97, Summerland)
- Flyer for British Columbia
CCOVI announced in the spring of 2011 that it will be expanding its program to include both Ontario and British Columbia grape growing regions with the upcoming series. In August, 2011 Dr. Glen Creasy from Lincoln University in New Zealand discussed Vine Balance: Ways to accelerate fruit maturity.
"The enhanced lecture series as part of CCOVI's outreach community programs will create an invaluable networking opportunity for the grape and wine industry across Canada," says CCOVI Director Debbie Inglis. "New linkages between the Ontario and British Columbia grape growing regions will be established and existing ones strengthened."
MEDIA RELEASE - June 28, 2011 http://www.brocku.ca/webfm_send/17896
Schedule for Ontario:http://www.brocku.ca/webfm_send/17897
- Wednesday, August 24: Vineyard Visits/Technical Workshop
- Thursday, August 25: Public Lecture
- FLYER for Ontario - Map to Site 1 http://www.brocku.ca/webfm_send/18041
- Campus Map for Public Lecture Locationhttp://www.brocku.ca/webfm_send/18043
- Triggs Lecture 2011 - Glen Creasy
Schedule for British Columbia:http://www.brocku.ca/webfm_send/17898
- Tuesday, August 30: Vineyard Visits/Technical Workshop
- Wednesday, August 31: Public Lecture
- FLYER for British Columbia schedule
ONTARIO Lecture - Glen Creasy - http://www.brocku.ca/webfm_send/18113
BRITISH COLUMBIA Lecture - Glen Creasy - http://www.brocku.ca/webfm_send/18241
- Triggs Lecture 2008 - Daniel Roberts
- Using Soil Water to Reduce Vineyard Variability - Daniel Roberts, Ph.D.
- View presentation video