The Caribou Mathematics Competition is a world wide online contest that is held six times throughout the school year. Each of these days, five contests are offered, one for each of the grade levels 3/4, 5/6, 7/8, 9/10 and 11/12.
The Caribou Cup is the series of all Caribou Contests in one year. Each student's ranking in the Caribou Cup is determined by their performance in their best five of six contests through the school year.
All of our previous contests are available for free online as practice tests.
The goals of this project are to:
- Provide challenging math activities for interested grade 3-12 students.
- Show that mathematical puzzles can be fun and that competing in math contests can be exciting and modern.
Upcoming ContestsContests run from 7:30AM to 3:30PM (local time of the participating school) on the date specified.
|Wednesday April 2nd, 2014||3/4, 5/6, 7/8, 9/10, 11/12|
|Wednesday May 7th, 2014||3/4, 5/6, 7/8, 9/10, 11/12|
The following steps give an overview of how to participate:
- A teacher or librarian must register.
- The teacher must get student access codes (free or paid). For paid access codes, the teacher can buy codes themselves, or allow third parties to pay for them (eg parents).
- On a contest day, the teacher hands out the access codes to their students, which allow the students to take part in the contest. That access code becomes that student's code for the rest of the school year, they will use it to start every contest that year.
- On the evening of a contest day, students can log in to see their results and print certificates using the same access code. Teachers also get detailed statistics about how their students did, in addition to printing certificates.
More details can be found here.
Cash prizes are given out to the top performing students and schools in the Caribou Cup. Additionally, contest and Caribou Cup certificates can be printed after each test is marked. More information regarding prizes and a sample certificate can be found here.
Calcrostics are a trademark in a Caribou Contest - one appears in every contest.
972 ÷ 486 = 2 - ÷ ÷ × + 918 ÷ 27 = 34 = = = = = 54 - 18 = 36
- Maths for kids - a free international competition for children in mathematics.
- Centre for Education in Mathematics and Computing (CEMC) - free online math resources from the University of Waterloo.
- ELMACON - a math contest for elementary school students in Vancouver, British Columbia.
- Math Performance Centre - promotes and supports math through the arts.
- Kangaroo sans Frontieres - organize an annual Kangaroo contest with the aim of promoting mathematics amoung young people around the world.
- Canadian Math Kangaroo Contest - the annual Kangaroo contest held in Canada for students of grade 1-12.
- USA Kangaroo Math - contest for students grade 2-12 in the USA.
- Art of Problem Solving - comprehensive site for problem solvers, aimed at high school students.
- Virtual Mathematics Marathon - an ongoing math contest with news problems added every week for grades 3-12.
- Purple Comet - an online yearly math contest for teams of intermediate and high school students.
- Asian Pacific Mathematics Olympiad - annual math competition for high school students.