WOSA LC Championships
PRESS RELEASE: June 15, 2008— Brantford
Twenty-two swimmers represented Brock Niagara Aquatics in Brantford at the Western Region Long Course Championships on June 13th-15th. This meet serves as the season ending championship for the majority of our young club swimmers, many of whom are proud to have qualified at this level for the first time ever this season.
Congratulations to medallists Victoria Culp (Vineland) taking GOLD in the 1500 Freestyle, Jamie Halucha (NOTL) taking BRONZE in the same event, and Ronan Healey (St Catharines) who also grabbed BRONZE in the 800 Free. Other swimmers placing in the top 8 were Boaz Allon (Fonthill) 7th 50 Fly-100 Fly, Jamie Halucha 4th 800 Free, Ronan Healey 5th 50 Free, Andrew Hrycusko (Fonthill) 5th 100 Breast, Shabana Jamani (St Catharines) 8th 100 Fly, and Ryan Zacharias (St Catharines) 7th 50 Breast, 8th 100 Breast.
Western Region Novice Festival
PRESS RELEASE: June 7, 2008— Waterloo
Swimmers from Brock Niagara Aquatics groups raced this past Saturday in Waterloo against novice level swimmers from several other teams from across southern Ontario.
Top individual results came from Andrew Sargeson of Niagara Falls, with 2 wins. Other event winners include Ross Marcotte, Derian Free, Marijka Roest, and Ricky McArthur. Sargeson and Roest swim out of the Niagara Falls Boys & Girls Club programme, while McArthur, Free and Marcotte practice at the Brock University pool.
In the relay events, the Brock 9/10 Boys team of Noah Mills Ross Marcotte, Ross Horsley, Justin Caza placed 6th, while Derian Free, Clayton van Dyk, Matthew Sargeson, Ross Horsley teamed up for an 8th place finish. In the 11/Over Boys relay, Justin Caza, Jamie Mills, Ricky McArthur, Andrew Sargeson eamed up for a 3rd place finish. On the girls side, the 11/Over squad of Marijka Roest, Sarah Ikenaga, Olivia Colbeck, Stela Trudeau placed 5th.
Full results (top 8):
- Faith Bell (St Catharines) 6th 100 Breast
- Asha Balogh (Niagara Falls) 2nd 100 Breast
- Lawson Coy (St Catharines) 8th 100 IM
- Derian Free (Fonthill) 1st 100 Breast
- Justin Konik (St Catharines) 2nd 100 IM-100 Back, 5th 50 Free
- Ross Marcotte (Niagara Falls) 1st 50 Fly
- Noah Mills (Niagara Falls) 2nd 50 Fly, 8th 50 Free
- Ivona Palinkas(St Catharines) 4th 100 Breast
- Marjike Roest (Niagara Falls) 1st 100 Fly, 2nd 50 Fly-100 IM, 4th 50 Back, 6th 50 Free
- Justin Caza (Niagara Falls) 4th 50 Breast
- Matthew Sargeson (Niagara Falls) 6th 50 Fly
- Luanna Marcotte (Niagara Falls) 7th 50 Back
- Stela Trudeau (Niagara Falls) 2nd 50 Fly, 5th 100 Fly
- Andrew Sargeson (Niagara Falls) 1st 50-100 Fly, 4th 100 IM, 6th 50-100 Free, 7th 50 Breast
- Jamie Mills (Niagara Falls) 2nd 100 Breast, 5th 50 Breast, 7th 50 Free, 8th 100 Free
13 & Over Girls
- Sarah Ikenaga (Niagara Falls) 3rd 50 Back, 4th 100 IM, 5th 50 Free
- Ricky McArthur (Thorold) 1st 50 Back, 7th 50 Free
- Gregory McPherson (Welland) 2nd 50 Fly
- Alex Ren (Niagara Falls) 7th 50 Breast
US National Open Water Championship
PRESS RELEASE: June 2, 2008— Fort Myers Beach, Florida
Niagara Falls swimmer Mandy Melymuka took on a new challenge this past weekend with a trip to the United States 5-kilometre National Open Water Championships hosted in Fort Myers, Florida. Mandy raced in the 5K Championship event on May 30th, as well as a 10K open event hosted as part of the weekend festival on June 1st.
16-year-old Mandy is a long-time member of Brock Niagara Aquatics, training eight practices weekly at Brock University. She has again been named as part of Ontario's Open Water Team for 2008, and is looking to further herself in this new Olympic sport. Although she has previous open water experience racing at the Canadian National Age Group 5K Championships as well as in Montreal's 10K Open Water Festival event, racing in the ocean was a new experience for her. Big waves made sighting very difficult, salt water caused her some nausea during the 10K, and changing conditions during the event meant strategies had to change with the water conditions.
Mandy placed 18th in the 5K US National Championship event, out of 34 starters; an excellent performance given her lack of ocean experience. Learning from that, she went on to place fourth in the 10K Open event, after leading through the early part of the race. Her comment after battling the giant waves in the last half of the 10K was simply, "That was the hardest physical and mental thing I have ever had to do in my life!"
Mandy has had a successful year to date racing in the pool also, placing in the Finals at Eastern Canadian Championships in the winter and qualifying for her first ever Senior Canadian National Championships coming up this summer in Winnipeg. She will also continue to compete in the open water, including at the Ontario Championships in July.
Results of the Fort Myers competition are available at www.openwaterfestival.org
PRESS RELEASE: May 11, 2008— London
Alex Albert wins 13/14 Girls High Point Trophy!
Racing for Brock Niagara Aquatics, Alex Albert of Welland picked up 5 Gold & 1 Silver at the Hollandia Invitational in London this past weekend to win the Girls High Point Award in her age group. Alex also set a new 13/14 age group team record in 100 Freestyle of 1:01.87, breaking the old record set back in 1987. Other medallists included Mandy Melymuka of Niagara Falls with a Silver and a Bronze, and Kara Demers of Port Colborne and Nick Majtenyi of St. Catharines each collecting a Bronze medal.
- Alex Albert GOLD 200-400-800 Free-100 Fly-400 IM, SILVER 100 Free, 4th 200 Back
- Ronan Healey 7th 1500 Free
- Victoria Culp 4th 100-200 Free, 9th 800 Free, 10th 400 Free, 16th 100 Back
- Kara Demers BRONZE 100 Free, 8th 200 Free, 12th 100 Back, 14th 200 Back, 12th 400 Free
- Jamie Halucha 10th 800 Free, 15th 100 Breast, 16th 400 IM
- Mandy Melymuka SILVER 200 Breast, BRONZE 100 Breast, 6th 800 Free, 8th 400 IM, 13th 400 Free, 14th 200 IM
- Nick Majtenyi BRONZE 1500 Free, 4th 200 Fly-400 Free, 9th 200 Free, 11th 100 Free, 13th 100 Fly, 16th 400 IM
- Mike Smerek 6th 800 Free-100 Fly, 7th 200 Fly, 14th 200 IM
PRESS RELEASE: December 16, 2007— Hamilton
Brock Niagara Aquatics swimmers raced in Hamilton this past weekend. The meet highlight for the young group of swimmers was provided by Jimmy Thoms who posted his first qualifying time for the Western Ontario Regional Championships.
- Ellis Derksen (St Catharines) 1st 50 Back
- Boaz Allon (Fonthill) 3rd 200 Back, 4th 50 Breast-50 Back, 5th 50 Free-50 Fly
- Joshua Allon (Fonthill) 6th 50 Breast
- Ben Skippen (Grimsby) 4th 300 Back, 5th 50-100 Breast, 6th 50 Back-100 Fly
- Andrew Hrycusko (Fonthill) 4th 100 Breast
- Michael Kreuk (St Catharines) 4th 100 Fly, 6th 100 Breast
- Alexander Martenyk (St Catharines) 3rd 100 Fly, 5th 200 IM
- Tim Skippen (Grimsby) 1st 100 Fly-200 Back, 2nd 200 IM
- Jimmy Thoms (St Catharines) 2nd 100 Fly, 5th 100 Breast, 6th 200 IM
- Chloe Derksen (St Catharines) 2nd 50 Breast, 6th 50 Back
- Dana Bjorgan (NOTL) 3rd 100 Breast, 4th 100 Fly
- Larissa Yovanovich (St Catharines) 5th 50 Free, 6th 50 Fly
- Thomas Neufeld (Welland) 3rd 200 Breast-200 Free, 4th 200 Back, 6th 50 Free-50 Fly
- Michal Pasternak (St Catharines) 3rd 200 IM-200 Back
Prairie Winter Invitational
PRESS RELEASE: December 2, 2007— Winnipeg
Competing against strong competition from over 35 teams from Ontario, Manitoba, Saskatchawan, and Alberta, a small group of Brock Niagara Aquatics members raced well this past weekend in Winnipeg at the Prairie Winter Invitational.
Mike Smerek of Brock Niagara Aquatics set a new Short Course club record in 100 Butterfly in the Men's 15 & Over age group. His performance in this event captured the BRONZE Medal, and qualified him for Eastern Canadian Championships in February. In only his second year racing competitively, Mike is demonstrating great talent and a strong work ethic, and is now looking to qualify for Olympic Trials in April 2008. Mike is a St. Catharines resident in his final year at West Park High School.
Also in the medals were Courtney Braun (Grimsby), capturing the SILVER in the Women's 13/14 200 Fly; Alex Albert (Welland) with a BRONZE in the 13/14 800 Free; and Mandy Melymuka (Niagara Falls) BRONZE 15 & Over 800 Free.
- Alex Albert (Welland) BRONZE 800 Free, 4th 200 Free, 5th 400 IM, 6th 200 IM-400 Free, 10th 200 Back, 12th 100 Back
- Courtney Braun (Grinsby) SILVER 200 Fly, 7th 200 Breast-400 IM, 9th 800 Free, 10th 100 Fly, 11th 100 Breast
- Jamie Halucha (St Catharines) 16th 800 Free
- Mandy Melymuka (Niagara Falls) BRONZE 800 Free, 5th 400 IM, 6th 400 Free, 11th200 Breast, 12th 200 Free-200 IM
- Victoria Smith (Niagara Falls) 13th 200 Fly
- Mike Smerek (St Catharines) BRONZE 100 Fly, 6th 50 Fly, 7th 800 Free-200 Fly, 11th 400 Free, 13th 100 Free
PRESS RELEASE: October 28, 2007— St. Catharines
Brock Niagara Aquatics swimmers started the 2007-08 season this past weekend racing at the Walker Invitational swim meet, held here at Brock University. Competing were 250 swimmers representing 8 teams, with competitors from Bermuda, the US, and several southern Ontario teams in attendance. Brock won the meet, scoring a total of 700 Points.
Brock women swept the Walker 400 Race, the premier event of the meet, by taking 7 of the top 8 placings. This 400 Freestyle race is limited to the top 16 entrants in the meet. Mandy Melymuka won GOLD, Kara Demers SILVER and Alex Albert BRONZE to shut out the other teams from the medals. Not to be outdone on the men's side, Nick Majtenyi won SILVER in the Walker 400, with teammate Mike Smerek grabbing the BRONZE.
- Quinn Derksen (St. Catharines) 6th 100 Fly
- Boaz Allon (Fonthill) 4th 100 Fly-50 Back, 5th 50 Free-100 Back-100 IM
- 6th 50 Fly-100 Breast, 7th 100 Free, 8th 50 Breast
- Ben Skippen (Grimsby) 7th 100 Fly-100 Breast, 8th 50 Back
- Andrew Smith (NOTL) 6th 100 Fly, 7th 100 IM, 8th 50 Fly-100 Breast
- Simeon Tchervenelekov (Niagara Falls) 7th 50 Breast, 8th 50 Free
- Ryan Zacharias (St. Catharines) 5th 100 Breast-100 Fly, 6th 100 IM, 7th 100 Back
- SILVER 100 Medley Relay (B. Allon, J. Allon, Tchervenelekov, Zacharias)
- SILVER 100 Free Relay (B. Skippen, A. Smith, B. Allon, R. Zacharias
- Kathryn Hrycusko (Fonthill) 4th 200 Fly
- Shabana Jamani (St. Catharines) SILVER 200 Fly, 5th 100 Fly
- Alyssa Staples (Welland) 7th 200 Fly
- 7th 200 Free Relay-200 Medley Relay (S. Jamani, A. Staples, K. Hrycusko, A. Celetti)
- Kurtis Bishop (Niagara Falls) BRONZE 100-200 Fly, 4th 100-200 Breast, 6th 100 Free-200 Back-200 IM, 7th 200 Back
- Andrew Hrycusko (Fonthill)7th 200 Breast
- Tim Skippen (Grimsby) BRONZE 100 Free-100-200 Breast, 4th 100-200 Fly, 200 Back-200 IM, 5th 100 Back-200 Free
- Jim Thoms (St. Catharines) 6th 200 Breast, 8th 100 Breast
- SILVER 200 Medley Relay (T. Skippen, K. Bishop, A. Hrycusko, A. Martynek)
- 5th 200 Free Relay (B. Skippen, B. Allon, J.Thoms, R. Zacharias)
- Alex Albert (Welland) GOLD 200 Back-200 Free-200 IM, SILVER 100-200 Fly-100 Back, BRONZE 100-400 Free, 4th 200 Breast, 5th 100 Breast
- Courtney Braun (Grimsby) GOLD 100-200 Fly, SILVER 100-200 Breast, BRONZE 200 IM, 5th 200 Back, 6th 400 Free, 7th 100 Free
- Phoebe Kirkup (Fonthill) 5th 200 Fly, 8th 100 Fly
- Jamie Halucha (St. Catharines) BRONZE 200 Back, 4th 200 Fly, 5th 100 Fly-200 IM, 6th 100-200 Brease-100 Free, 7th 200 Free-400 Free, 8th 100 Back
- GOLD 200 Free Relay-200 Medley Relay (A. Albert, C. Braun, J. Halucha, P. Kirkup)
- 7th 200 Medley Relay (K. Dardarian, R. Bojanowski, A. Schrapp, K. McSpadden)
- Rene Gibson (NOTL) GOLD 100 Free, SILVER 100-200 Breast-200 Back, BRONZE 100 Back-200 IM, 4th 200 Free-200 Fly, 5th 100 Fly
- Ronan Healey (St. Catharines) 5th 200 Fly, 6th 100 Fly-200 Back, 7th 100-200 Breast, 8th 100-200 Free
- SILVER 200 Free Relay (R. Gibson, K. Bishop, T. Skippen, R. Healey)
- Dana Bjorgan (NOTL) 8th 100-200 Breast-200 Fly
- Kara Demers (Port Colborne) GOLD 100-200 Free, SILVER 400 Free, BRONZE 100 Back-200 Fly, 4th 100 Fly-100 Back-100 Breast, 5th 200 IM, 6th 200 Breast
- Mandy Melymuka (Niagara Falls) GOLD 100-200 Breast, 400 Free, SILVER 200 Back-200 Free-200 IM, BRONZE 100 Free, 5th 200 Fly, 6th 100 Fly, 7th 100 Back
- Christinia Philips (Welland) 6th 400 Free, 7th 200 Free, 8th 100 Free
- Victoria Smith (Niagara Falls) 4th 200 Fly, 5th 200 Breast, 6th 200 Free, 7th 100 Fly-100 Breast-200 IM, 8th 400 Free
- SILVER 200 Medley Relay (K. Demers, M. Melymuka, V. Smith, C. Philips)
- 5th 200 Medley Relay (S. Romanowski, D. Bjorgan, L. Yovanovich, R. Kirkup)
- SILVER 200 Free Relay (K. Demers, M. Melymuka, V. Smith, D. Bjorgan)
- 5th 200 Free Relay (S. Romanowski, C. Philips, K. Dardarian, L. Yovanovich)
- Nick Majtenyi (St. Catharines) GOLD 100-200 Breast-200 Fly, SILVER 200-400 Free-100 Fly-200 IM-100-200 Back, BRONZE 100 Free
- Thomas Neufeld (Welland) 6th 100 Breast
- Michal Pasternak (St. Catharines) 6th 200 Fly, 7th 100 Back-200 Breast, 8th 100 Breast, 200 Back
- Mike Smerek (St. Catharines) GOLD 100 Fly, SILVER 100 Free-200 Fly, BRONZE 200-400 Free-100-200 Back-100-200 Breast-200 IM
- SILVER 200 Medley Relay (M. Smerek, M. Pasternak, N. Majtenti, T. Neufeld)
- SILVER 200 Free Relay (M. Smerek, M. Pasternak, N. Majtenyi, TJ Thibault)