It takes dedication, passion and a lot of late nights to ensure the success of a student club. These qualities are readily available at the Goodman School of Business. From pulling all-nighters before events to travelling a combined total of over 16,710 kilometres across Canada and the United States for case competitions, each of the 125 students present at the annual Business Students’ Association (BSA) Recognition Night had made a significant contribution to student life.
In front of an audience that also included alumni, faculty and community leaders such as Betty-Lou Souter, CEO of Community Care St. Catharines and Thorold, 21 members of Goodman’s nine student clubs were honoured for going above and beyond. At the March 28 event, the student clubs each selected two members to be recognized for “Outstanding Contribution of the Year” and “Rookie of the Year”.
For Don Cyr, dean of the Goodman School of Business, the event is one of the highlights of his year.
“If you have not attended a recognition night before, you will be impressed,” Cyr said at the event. “The volume and quality of accomplishments you will hear about tonight is really quite astounding.”
Brian Hansell, founder of the Paul Hansell Foundation and an advocate for mental health, was at Recognition Night to hand out the Paul Hansell Competition Award to Goodman students Namrata Mistry and Shezeda Ly. The Paul Hansell Competition Award is given each year to two accounting students who demonstrate teamwork, positive spirit and engagement through a case competition. The Paul Hansell Foundation supports Wellness Week in partnership with Brock University and the Brock University Students’ Union (BUSU).
For many graduating Goodman students, this was their last event as part of a student club. And as they passed the torch, they left their successors with some insider tips. Be passionate. Get involved. Ask for support and help. And don’t forget to have fun.
The following undergraduate and graduate students were honoured at the March 28 BSA Recognition Night:
Accounting Students’ Association
• Rookie of the Year: Shezeda Ly
• Outstanding Contribution: Amie Lapointe
• Paul Hansell Competition Award: Namrata Mistry and Shezeda Ly
Brock Business Badgers
• Rookie of the Year: Elizabeth Hook
• Outstanding Contribution: Jonathan Brett
Brock Finance and Investment Group
• Rookie of the Year: Christopher Taylor
• Outstanding Contribution: Sean Bouwers
Brock U Marketing Association
• Rookie of the Year: Roohi Beg
• Outstanding Contribution: Haley Thomson
Brock U Entrepreneurship Club
• Rookie of the Year: Kristina Reyes
• Outstanding Contribution: Gaurang Mendon
DECA U Brock
• Rookie of the Year: Laura Thompson
• Outstanding Contribution: Anushka Narula
Human Resource Management Association
• Rookie of the Year: Jill Windeatt
• Outstanding Contribution: Sabrina Jancsi
Graduate Business Council
• Outstanding Contribution: Gracie Li
Business Students’ Association
• Apprentices of the Year: Harvey Gill and Madhvin Shah
• Rookie of the Year: Faraan Ashraf
• Bryan Butryn Award for Outstanding Contribution: Melanie Denis