Grape-growing and winemaking graduates of Brock’s Oenology and Viticulture (OEVI) program were recognized for excellence in winemaking at the 24th annual Cuvée Gala on March 2 at the Niagara Fallsview Casino.
Richie Roberts, Rob Power, Mary McDermott, Gord Robert and Eric Pearson collectively won nine Cuvée gold awards at this year’s gala celebration.
Roberts, of Fielding Estate Winery in Beamsville, was the big winner, taking home gold in three categories, more than any other winner at Cuvée 2012.
“It is an honour to win at Cuvée,” he said afterward, “especially because the competition is judged by other winemakers. To be celebrated by peers is a great feeling.”
Cuvée, commonly referred to in the industry as the “wine Oscars”, is a competition whereby Ontario winemakers submit their finest wines to be judged by a panel of their peers. This year’s gala showcased a record participation of 64 wineries.
Congratulations to Brock University alumni who won awards for their wines in the following categories:
- Cabernet Franc: Fielding Estate Winery, Cabernet Franc 2010 (Richie Roberts)
- Viognier: Fielding Estate Winery, Viognier 2010 (Richie Roberts)
- Pinot Grigio/ Pinot Gris: Fielding Estate Winery , Estate Bottled Pinot Gris 2010 (Richie Roberts)
- LCBO red wine:Creekside Estates Winery, Shiraz 2009 (Rob Power)
- Syrah/ Shiraz: Creekside Estate Winery, Broken Press Syrah 2008 (Rob Power)
- Sauvignon Blanc: Peller Estates Winery, Private Reserve Sauvignon Blanc 2010 (Mary McDermott)
- Cabernet Sauvignon: Peller Estates Winery, Private Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon 2010 (Mary McDermott)
- Chardonnay: Stoney Ridge Cellars, Excellence Chardonnay 2009 (Gord Robert)
- Gewürztraminer: Konzelmann Estate Winery, Gewürztraminer Late Harvest 2010
- Limited Edition Dessert Wine: Diamond Estates- The Winery, Dan Akroyd Signature Series Vidal Icewine 2006 (2nd place, Tom Green and Jason Roller)
- Gewürztraminer: Riverview Cellars Winery, Gewürztraminer 2010 (2nd place, Angela Kasimos)
- Viognier: Creekside Estate Winery, Reserve Viognier 2010 (2nd place, Rob Power)
- Cabernet Sauvignon: Lakeview Cellars, Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve 2007 (2nd place, Tom Green and Jason Roller)
- Red Blend: Diamond Estates - The Winery, Hat Trick Red 2010 (2nd place, Tom Green and Jason Roller)