More than 150 Brock students will participate in community service projects this weekend for not-for-profit agencies across Niagara.
This Saturday, Oct. 1, is the fourth annual fall Brock Cares Day of Service. The full-day event, which takes place from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at 13 project sites, gives students the opportunity to give back to the communities in which they live.
The day of service helps students feel connected to Brock and Niagara, which is one of the most important goals to achieve as a student, said Sabrina Parrotta, student co-ordinator in Student and Community Outreach.
“Brock is an amazing school because although academics are the primary concern, there is a bigger focus and an emphasis on community engagement that I feel other schools don’t offer,” she said. “Brock Cares Day of Service demonstrates Brock’s commitment to community involvement perfectly.”
The Brock Cares Day of Service exposes students to various charitable and community agencies in Niagara and the important work they do locally. Service projects will take place in Welland, St. Catharines, Port Colborne, and Niagara Falls.
“Although this is only a one day initiative,” said Kristen Smith, manager of Student and Community Outreach, “it is our hope that students will become interested in volunteering and that they will be compelled to give more of their time to help these and other local agencies in the future.”
- preparing and serving meals at the Hope House
- sorting furniture and organizing household items at the Hope Furniture Bank
- assisting with the Niagara Food Festival
- preparing and serving meals at Start Me Up Niagara’s weekend meal program
- assisting with Start Me Up Niagara’s Harvest Festival at Centennial Park
- co-ordinating games for children at Big Brothers-Big Sisters programs
- archiving artifacts with the Mayholme Foundation
- painting a classroom at the newly-renovated Port Cares Reach Out Food Centre
- general cleaning and maintenance at the YWCA Family Shelter
- assisting with collection of items during Environment Day hosted by the Region