Brock Outdoor Recreation and Environmental Action Living Learning Community
B.O.R.E.A.L. Learning Community
The Brock Outdoor Recreation and Environmental Action Living Learning Community (BOREAL Learning Community) allows students to live with others who share a passion for outdoor adventure, outdoor recreation and care about environmental issues and sustainable living. The BOREAL Learning Community is focused on providing students the opportunity to engage in active, healthy outdoor recreation activities that promote environmental awareness. Participants will have the chance to take part in trips and workshops, discuss various aspects of outdoor recreation and sustainable living with faculty and staff, develop outdoor leadership and technical skills, improve critical thinking and decision making abilities, and live with other students who share similar interests and values. The BOREAL Learning Community is open to students in any program of study at Brock and with no previous experience in the outdoors is required. Students are highly encouraged to sign up for a Brock BaseCamp outdoor orientation trip (visit www.brocku.ca/BaseCamp for more information) and consider taking RECL 2P56 – Outdoor Leadership for Non-Majors during the Spring/Summer semester.
Goals of B.O.R.E.A.L. Learning Community
1. Promote healthy, active living through participation in outdoor recreation activities.
2. Explore, understand and promote the sustainable use of outdoor resources and stewardship of the natural environment.
3. Acquire outdoor leadership, technical skills and programming experience.
4. Develop increased awareness of group dynamics and interpersonal relationships.
5. Experience a higher level of connection to the university community.
6. Gain awareness of environmental issues at the local, provincial and national level.
7. Create a space where like-minded individuals who share a common interest in the outdoors and the environment can live together.
8. Promote the growth and development of the whole person through outdoor challenges, adventure-based learning, and environmental education experiences.
9. Create a supportive community centred on a shared interest in the outdoors and the environment.
10. Create an opportunity for students to interact with faculty and staff mentors with an interest and expertise in outdoor recreation, outdoor adventure education, environmental education and sustainable living.
For more information about BOREAL, please contact:
Dr. Tim O'Connell
Office: STH 346
T 905 688 5550 x5014