2013 Registration Is Now Open
- Registration Opened March 1, 2013 -
Want a fun way to meet people and learn about what being a first-year student at Brock is all about?
Brock BaseCamp (BBC) offers rock climbing, canoeing and backpacking trips for incoming undergraduate students during August.
- BBC trips are three to five days long and are led by current Brock students and alumni.
- The program is coordinated by Brock faculty and staff with extensive outdoor experience.
- Each trip includes incoming undergraduate students and leaders and provides a great chance to meet a diverse group of classmates.
You’ll explore the outdoors, travel and camp together, share stories, and end up with a great group of friends when you’re back on campus in the fall! On your trip you’ll have the chance to ask questions about what being a university student is like, find out what it takes to make healthy choices while living away from home, and feel confident about yourself going into your first year. If you’re looking to start off your university experience in a unique way, think about a BBC trip this summer!
You don’t need any experience in the outdoors or with camping to participate. Our skilled leaders will teach you everything you need to know to be comfortable in the outdoors. BBC offers complimentary use of personal equipment you might need (e.g., pack, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, climbing equipment) through the Department of Recreation and Leisure Studies’ Outdoor Education Lab. All you have to bring are your clothes, sturdy hiking boots and a spirit of adventure! BBC trips are open to all incoming undergraduate students. Students with disabilities and special needs can most likely be accommodated. Please contact BBC staff directly if you have questions about equipment or to talk about your specific needs.
For more information contact:
Mr. Ryan Howard, BaseCamp Coordinator
Office: STH 347
T 905 688 5550 x4298
Dr. Tim O'Connell,
Department of Recreation and Leisure Studies
Office: STH 352
T 905 688 5550 x5014
Get BaseCamp on Your Transcript!
Did you know...
You can get a non-credit course added to your academic transcript for participating in a Brock BaseCamp trip?
It’s easy! All you have to do is register for RECL 0N06 – Brock BaseCamp as a Fall course, and we’ll be sure it shows up on your transcript. Take advantage of this great opportunity to have your BaseCamp experience permanently added to your academic record. For more information and for permission to register, contact Dr. Tim O’Connell.
Please note: This course (RECL 0N06) is non-credit bearing and does not count toward completing your degree at Brock.
Brock BaseCamp is a distinctive summer experience for incoming undergraduate students to Brock University. While BaseCamp trips take place in the outdoors, the primary goal is to welcome first-year students to Brock and to introduce them to life as a university student. The following goals serve as a guide for Brock BaseCamp trips:
- Provide incoming students with a fun way to meet new people, make friends and develop a sense of community.
- Offer participants the chance to talk with current Brock students and ask questions about what being a first-year university student is all about.
- Provide participants the opportunity to talk about student life issues such as drug and alcohol use, living away from home, diversity and positive interpersonal relationships.
- Encourage participants to increase self-confidence and to take responsibility for their choices and themselves.
- Support student retention and successful graduation from Brock.
- Provide leadership experiences for current Brock students.
- Promote an appreciation for the natural environment and foster an interest in outdoor recreation activities.
- No alcohol, tobacco or non-prescription drugs are permitted.
- Personal electronic devices are prohibited. This includes cell phones, MP3 players & IPods, video games, and any other non-medical electronic items.
- Participants are bound by the policies set forth by the Brock University:
Participants are obligated to follow these regulations and policies as well as the directions and guidance of BaseCamp staff at all times or may be removed from the trip and sent home at their own expense.
We hope to see you in August for the adventure before the adventure!
Photos courtesy of Maya Blomme and Myles Clinton