Faculty of Applied Health Sciences


I want to do a graduate degree, how do I find an advisor/supervisor?

To ensure a productive and satisfactory graduate studies research experience the prospective student needs to find a graduate studies supervisor who has similar research interests, and has the space and resources in their research program to accommodate a, or an additional, graduate student. The task of locating a compatible and available graduate studies supervisor will require some investigative research on the part of the prospective student. First, you must identify your own research interests as part of the letter of intent. As part of the admissions process, we will attempt to match your interests with those of faculty members who have similar interests, and who have space and resources.
A good place to start is to check out the faculty profiles on the Faculty Mentor & Staff List page. Since prospective students need to find a supervisor that not only has adequate space and resources for a new graduate student, but also has similar research interests and can help the student meet their goals, we recommend that the prospective student make direct contact with several faculty members who share the students’ research interests. The easiest way to do this is to first send an email containing a brief biographical summary which clearly outlines your educational background (what courses you have taken; how well you did (GPA); what college/university you attended; what degrees you have; etc), what relevant laboratory experience you have had, and what your goals are. Lastly, indicate in your Letter of Intent faculty members with which you have begun fruitful discussions as this helps in the matching process.
How do I find graduate funding/financial assistance?
Brock University, federal and provincial governments, and various external agencies offer fellowships, assistantships, scholarships, bursaries, grants, and prizes. Please visit the Faculty of Graduate Studies website for more details.
Can I transfer credits from another program? Can I take a graduate course as a visiting student?
For specific questions related to graduate studies program and academic advising please contact:

Bev Minor
Faculty of Applied Health Sciences Office Research and Graduate Studies
T 905-688-5550, x: 4797

Can I start the Graduate Program in January, or in the spring, or in the summer? Part-time?
No. The graduate program in Applied Health Sciences is full-time only, with an intake of new graduate students only in September.
I am starting graduate studies in September – when do I have to be in St. Catharines?
When you arrive in St. Catharines is up to you and where you are coming from. Allow yourself enough time to have found accommodations, to have moved in, be fairly settled, and ready to start classes by the first week in September.
I am an international student – what will I need to do?
In addition to the required documentation and application procedures - if your primary language is not English, or you have a degree from an institution where the language of instruction is not English, you will be required to provide certification of English language proficiency through one of the following:
  • TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) minimum score required: 550
  • TOEFL CBT (Computer-based Test) minimum score required: 213
  • MELAB (Michigan English Language Assessment Battery) minimum score required: 85
  • IELTS (International English Language Testing System) minimum score required: 6.5
In addition, specialized courses are offered by the Faculty of Education in speaking English, writing English, and both speaking and writing English.
Please note: that it is the responsibility of the prospective student to ensure that all documentation is submitted and received by the deadlines indicated on the application guideline from the Graduate Department.
I am an international student –– what will I need to know about Brock University?
We strongly recommend that all international students contact both the Faculty of Graduate Studies  and the Brock University Office of International Services  for assistance with student advising on financial assistance, immigration, health care coverage, banking, etc.


Exploding FAQ cube