Applied Health Sciences - Recreation & Leisure Studies
Book: Mull, R., Forrester, S., & Barnes, M. (2013). Recreational Sports Programming (5th ed). Champaign, IL: Sagamore Publishing. Refereed Articles Barnes, M., Forrester, S., & Leone, M. (2013). A City Looks to its Past to Discover its Future: A Retrospective Case Study Examining the Effects of an Artificial White-Water River Development 25 years Later. Managing Leisure, 18(1), 16-30. Cousens, L., Barnes, M., & MacLean, J. (2012). Community Sport Collaboration: A Sport Participation Driver. International Journal of Sport Management and Marketing (IJSMM), Vol.12 (3/4), 198 – 216.
- MacLean, J., Cousens, L., & Barnes, M. (2011). Look who's linked with whom: A case study of one community basketball network. Journal of Sport Management, 25, 562-575.
- Barnes, M. (2011). "Music to our ears": Understanding why Canadians donate to arts and cultural organizations. International Journal of Nonprofit and Voluntary Sector Marketing, 16, 115-126.
- Barnes, M., Cousens, L., & MacLean, J. (2010). Understanding the Structure of Community Collaboration: The Case of One Canadian Health Promotion Network. Health Promotion International, 25(2), 238-247.
- Cousens, L., & Barnes, M. (2009). Sport delivery in a highly socialized environment: A case study of embeddedness. Journal of Sport Management, 23(5), 574-590.
- Barnes, M., & Sharpe, E. (2009). Looking beyond traditional volunteer management: A case study of an alternative approach to volunteer engagement in parks and recreation. Voluntas: International Journal of Voluntary and Nonprofit, 20(2), 169-187.
- Barnes, M., Cousens, L., & MacLean, J. (2007). From silos to synergies: a network perspective of the Canadian sport system. International Journal of Sport Management and Marketing, 2(5/6), 555-571.
- Cousens, L., Barnes, M., Stevens, J., Mallen, C. & Bradish, C. (2006). Who's Your Partner? Who's Your Ally? Exploring the Characteristics of Public, Private, and Voluntary Recreation Linkages. Journal of Park and Recreation Administration, 24(1), 32-55.
- Barnes, M., & Brayley, R. (2006). Institutional readiness and grant success among public recreation agencies. Managing Leisure, 11(3), 139-150.
- Barnes, M., & McCarville, R. (2005). Patron or philanthropist? Charitable giving to a performance based leisure provider. Journal of Park and Recreation Administration, 23(2), 110-134.
Office: Academic South 340
T 905 688 5550 x5011
F 905 984 4843