Applied Health Sciences - Kinesiology
- Dotan, R., Mitchell, C., Cohen, R., Gabriel, D., Klentrou, P., Falk, B.: Explosive sport training and torque kinetics in children. Applied Physiology, Nutrition and Metabolism, 38(7):740-745, 2013. doi: 10.1139/apnm-2012-0330. Epub 2013 Jan 29
- Dotan, R., Mitchell, C., Cohen, R., Gabriel, D., Klentrou, P., Falk, B.: Child–adult differences in the kinetics of torque development. Journal of Sports Sciences 31(9):945-956, 2013
- Dotan, R., C. Mitchell, R. Cohen, P. Klentrou, D. Gabriel, B. Falk: Child—Adult Differences in Muscle Activation – A Review. Pediatric Exercise Science 24:2-21, 2012. Invited review.
- Klentrou, P.; I. Ludwa, B. Falk: Factors associated with bone turnover and speed of sound in early and late-pubertal females. Applied Physiology, Nutrition and Metabolism. 36(5):707-14, 2011.
- Mitchell, C., R. Cohen, R. Dotan, D. Gabriel, P. Klentrou, B. Falk. Rate of Muscle Activation in Power- and Endurance-Trained Boys. Int. J. Sports Physiol. Perf. 6(1):94-105, 2011.
- Yao, M., I. Ludwa, L. Corbett, P. Klentrou, P. Bonsu, K. Gammage, B. Falk. Bone speed of sound and physical activity levels of overweight and normal-weight girls and adolescents. Pediatr. Exerc. Sci. 23:25-35, 2011.
- R. Dotan, L. Zigel, A. Rotstein, T. Greenberg, Y. Beniamini, B. Falk: Reliability and Validity of the Lactate-Minimum Test – A Revisit. J Sports Med Phys Fitness. 51(1):42-9, 2011.
- Cohen, R., C. Mitchell, R. Dotan, D. Gabriel, P. Klentrou, B. Falk: Do Neuro-Muscular Adaptations Occur in Endurance-Trained Boys and Men?, Applied Physiology, Nutrition and Metabolism, 35:471-479,2010.
- Moore, S., M. Moore, P. Klentrou, P. Sullivan, B. Falk: Maturity status in male child and adolescent athletes. J Sports Med Phys Fitness. 50:486-493, 2010.
- Falk B., S. Braid, M. Moore, M. Yao, P. Sullivan, P. Klentrou. Bone properties in child and adolescent male hockey and soccer players. Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport. 2009 Jun 30. [Epub ahead of print]; 13(4):387-91, 2010.
- Ludwa, I. A., B. Falk, M. Yao, L. Corbett, P. Klentrou: Bone Speed of Sound, bone Turnover and IGF-I in Adolescent Synchronized Swimmers. Pediatr. Exerc. Sci. 22:421-430, 2010.
- Corbett, L., C. Muir, I.A. Ludwa, M. Yao, B.W. Timmons, B. Falk, P. Klentrou: Correlates of mucosal immunity and upper respiratory tract infections in girls. J. Pediatr. Endocrinol. Metab. 23(6): 579-588, 2010.
- Tiktinsky, R., G. Kenet, Z. Dvir, B. Falk, M. Heim, U. Martinowitz, M. Katz-Leurer. Physical activity participation and bleeding characteristics in young patients with severe hemophilia. Heamophilia 15(3):695-700, 2009.
- Falk B., C. Usselman, R. Dotan, L. Brunton, P. Klentrou, J. Shaw, D. Gabriel. Child-adult differences in muscle strength and activation pattern during isometric elbow flexion and extension. Applied Physiology, Nutrition and Metabolism. 34(4):609-615, 2009.
- Falk, B. L. Brunton, R. Dotan, C. Usselman, P. Klentrou, D. Gabriel. Muscle Strength and EMG response in Girls and Women During Isometric Elbow Flexion. Ped. Exerc. Sci., 21(3):354-364, 2009.
- R. Gavrieli, T. Ashlagi-Amiri, A. Eliakim, L. Zigel, B. Falk, B. Wolach. The effect of aerobic exercise on neutrophil functions. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, 40(9):1623-1628 2008.
- Behm, D.G., Faigenbaum, A.D., Falk, B., Klentrou, P.: Canadian Society for Exercise Physiology Position Paper: Resistance Training in Children and Adolescents. Applied Physiology, Nutrition and Metabolism, 33:547-561, 2008. (invited paper).
- Falk, B., R. Dotan: Pediatric Exercise Physiology Symposium A Tribute to Oded Bar-Or: Children’s thermoregulation during exercise in the heat – a revisit. Applied Physiology, Nutrition and Metabolism, 33(2): 420-427, 2008. (invited review).
- Falk, B., S. Braid, M. Moore, D. O’Leary, P. Sullivan, P. Klentrou: Bone properties in overweight, pre- and early-pubertal boys. Pediatric Exercise Science, 20:50-61, 2008.
- Rotstein, A., R. Dotan, L. Zigel, T. Greenberg, Y. Benyamini, B. Falk. The Effect of Pre-test Carbohydrate Ingestion on the Anaerobic Threshold, as Determined by the Lactate-Minimum Test. Applied Physiology, Nutrition and Metabolism, 32:1058-1064, 2007.
- Moore, M., S. Braid, B. Falk, P. Klentrou. Assessing the validity of the calcium rapid assessment method in children and adolescent boys. Nutr. J., 6: 24, 2007 [doi:10.1186/1475-2891-6-24].
- R. Lidor, Y. Hershko, A. Bilkevitz, M. Arnon, B. Falk: Measurement of talent in volleyball: Fifteen-month follow-up of elite adolescent players. Journal of Sports Medicine and Physical Fitness 47(2):159-168, 2007.
- R. Lidor, M. Arnon, Y. Hershko, G. Maayan, B. Falk: Accuracy in a volleyball service test in rested and physical exertion conditions in elite and near-elite adolescent players. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research 21(3):937-942, 2007.
- B. Falk, Y. Galili, L. Zigel, N. Constantini, A. Eliakim: A Cumulative Effect of Physical Training on Bone Strength in Males International Journal of Sports Medicine 28:449-455, 2007,[Epub ahead of print, Nov 16, 2006]
- Lidor, R., Y. Melnik, A. Bilkevitz, B. Falk: The 10-station judo ability test: A test of physical and skill components. Strength and Conditioning Journal 28:2-4, 2006.
- Falk, B., R. Dotan: Child-adult differences in the recovery from high-intensity exercise. Exercise and Sport Sciences Reviews, 34, 107-112, 2006.
- Falk, B., G. Bar-Mor, L. Zigel, M. Yaaron, Y. Beniamini, B. Zeevi: Daily physical activity and perception of condition severity among male and female adolescents with congenital heart malformation. Journal of Pediatric Nursing, 21, 244-249, 2006.
- Falk, B.: Thermoregulation. Pediatric Exercise Science, 18 (special issue dedicated to the memory of Oded Bar-Or), 146-150, 2006. (invited review)
- Falk, B., A. Nini, L. Zigel, Y. Yahav, M. Aviram, J. Rivlin, L. Bentur, A. Avital, R., R. Dotan, H. Blau: The effect of low altitude at the Dead Sea on exercise capacity and cardiopulmonary response to exercise in cystic fibrosis patients with moderate to severe lung disease. Pediatric Pulmonology, 41, 234-241, 2006.
- G. Admon, Y. Weinstein, B. Falk, N. Weintrob, H. Benzaquen, R. Ofan, G. Fayman, L. Zigel, N. Constantini, M. Phillip: Exercise with and without insulin pump in children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes mellitus. Pediatrics, 116, 348-355, 2005.
- Lidor, R., Y. Melnik, A. Bilkevitz, M. Arnon, B. Falk: Measurement of talent in judo using a unique, judo-specific ability test. The Journal of Sports Medicine and Physical Fitness, 45, 32-37, 2005.
- Falk, B., S. Portal, R. Tiktinsky, L. Zigel, Y. Weinstein, N. Constantini, G. Kenet, A. Eliakim, U. Martinowitz: Bone properties and muscle strength of young hemophilia patients. Haemophilia Journal, 11, 380-386, 2005.
- Wolach, B., R. Gavrieli, S. Geffen Ben-Dror, L. Zigel, A. Eliakim, B. Falk: Transient decrease of neutrophil chemotaxis following aerobic exercise. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, 37, 949-954, 2005.
- Lidor, R., B. Falk, M. Arnon, Y. Cohen, G. Segal, Y. Lander: Measurement of talent in team handball: The questionable use of motor and physical tests. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, 19, 318-325, 2005.
- Falk, B., R. Gorev, L. Zigel, A. Ben-Amotz, I. Neuman: The effect of lycopene supplementation on post-exercise lung function in young athletes who complain of EIB symptoms. Annals of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology, 94, 480-485, 2005.
- Falk, B., Z. Bronshtein, L. Zigel, N. Constantini, A. Eliakim: Higher tibial quantitative ultrasound in young female swimmers. British Journal of Sports Medicine, 38, 461-465, 2004.
- Falk, B., R. Lidor, Y. Lander, B. Lang: Talent identification and early development of elite water-polo players: A 2-year follow-up study. Journal of Sports Sciences, 22, 347-355, 2004.
- Weinstein, Y., T. Kamerman, E. Berry, B. Falk. Mechanical efficiency of normal-weight prepubertal boys predisposed to obesity. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, 36, 567-573, 2004.
- Falk, B., A. Eliakim: Resistance training, skeletal muscle and growth. Pediatric Endocrinology Reviews (PER), 1, 120-127, 2003.
- Falk, B., Z. Bronshtein, L. Zigel, N. Constantini, A. Eliakim: Quantitative ultrasound of the tibia and radius in pre- and early-pubertal female athletes. Arch Ped Adoles Med, 157, 139-143, 2003.
- Dotan, R., S. Ohana, C. Bediz, B. Falk: Blood lactate disappearance dynamics in boys and men following exercise of similar and dissimilar peak-lactate concentrations. Journal of Pediatric Endocrinology & Metabolism, 16, 419-429, 2003.
- Eliakim, A., D. Nemet, S. Bar-Sela, Y. Higer, B. Falk: Changes in circulating IGF-I and their correlation with self-assessment and fitness among elite athletes. International Journal of Sports Medicine, 23, 600-603, 2002.
- Gothelf, D., B. Falk, P. Singer, M. Kairi, M. Phillip, L. Zigel, I. Poraz, S. Frishman, N. Constantini, G. Zalsman, A. Weizman, A. Apte: Weight gain associated with increased food intake and low habitual activity levels in male adolescent schizophrenic inpatients treated with olanzapine. American Journal of Psychiatry, 1159: 1055-1057, 2002.
- Tenenbaum, G., B. Falk, O. Bar-Or: The measurement and the accumulation of perceived exertion in a progressive cycling maximal power test in children and adolescents. International Journal of Sport Psychology, 33: 337-348, 2002.
- Falk, B., E. Sadres, N. Constantini, L. Zigel, R. Lidor, A. Eliakim: The association between adiposity and the response to resistance training among pre- and early-pubertal boys. Journal ofPediatric Endocrinology & Metabolism, 15:597-606, 2002.
- Tiktinsky, R., B. Falk, M. Heim, U. Martinovitz: The effect of resistance training on the frequency of bleeding in hemophilia patients: A pilot study. Hemophilia, 8:22-27, 2002.
- Sadres, E., A. Eliakim, N. Constantini, R. Lidor, B. Falk: The effect of long-term resistance training on anthropometric measures, muscle strength, and self concept in pre-pubertal boys. Pediatric Exercise Science, 13:357-372, 2001.
- Falk, B., Y. Cohen, G. Lustig, Y. Lander, M. Yaaron, J. Ayalon: Tracking of fitness components in boys and girls from 2nd to 6th grade. American Journal of Human Biology, 13:65-70, 2001.
- Eliakim, A., S. Ish-Shalom, A. Giladi, B. Falk, N. Constantini. Assessment of body composition in ballet dancers: Correlation among three techniques. International Journal of Sports Medicine, 21:598-601, 2000.
- Falk, B., E. Sadres, N. Constantini, A. Eliakim, L. Zigel, A.J. Foldes: Quantitative ultrasound (QUS) of the tibia: A sensitive tool for the detection of bone changes in growing boys. Journal of Pediatric Endocrinology & Metabolism, 13:1129-1135, 2000.
- Dotan, R., B. Falk, A. Raz: Intensity effect of active recovery from glycolytic exercise on decreasing blood lactate concentration in prepubertal children. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, 32:564-570, 2000.
- Wolach, B., B. Falk, R. Gavrieli, E. Kodesh, A. Eliakim. Neutrophil function response to aerobic and anaerobic exercise in female judoka and untrained subjects. British Journal of Sports Medicine,34:23-28, 2000.
- Constantini, N., A. Eliakim, L. Zigel, M. Yaaron, B. Falk: Iron status of highly active adolescents: Evidence of depleted iron stores in gymnasts. Int. J. Sport Nutr. Exerc. Metab. 10:62-70, 2000.
- Falk, B., S. Portal, R. Tiktinsky, Y. Weinstein, N. Constantini, U. Martinowitz: Anaerobic power and muscle strength in young hemophilia patients. Med. Sci. Sports Exerc. 32:52-57, 2000.
- Bar-Mor, G., B. Zeevi, M. Yaaron, B. Falk: Use of the heart rate monitor to modulate physical activity in adolescents with congenital aortic stenosis: an innovative approach. J. Pediatric Nursing14 273-277, 1999.
- Wolach, B., A. Eliakim, R. Gavrieli, E. Kodesh, Y. Yarom, M. Schlesinger, B. Falk: Aspects of leukocyte function and the complement system following aerobic exercise in young female gymnasts. Scand. J. Med. Sci. Sports 8:91-7, 1998.
- Wolach, B., B. Falk, E. Kodesh, J. Radnay, H. Shapiro, Y. Yarom, A. Eliakim: Cellular immuneresponse to anaerobic exercise among gymnasts and untrained girls. Ped. Exerc. Sci.10:227-235, 1998.
- Rotstein, A., B. Falk, M. Einbinder, L. Zigel: Changes in plasma volume following intense intermittent exercise in neutral and hot environmental conditions. J. Sports Med. Phys. Fitness38:24-29, 1998.
- Falk, B.: Effects of thermal stress during rest and exercise in the pediatric population. Sports Med. 25:221-240, 1998.
- Falk B., S. Radom-Isaac, J.R. Hoffman, Y. Wang, Y. Yarom, Y. Weinstein, A. Magazanik: The effect of heat exposure on performance of and recovery from anaerobic exercise. Int. J. Sports Med.19:1-6, 1998.
- Weinstein, Y., C. Bediz, R. Dotan, B. Falk: Test-retest reliability of peak lactate and peak heart rate responses to the Wingate Anaerobic Test. Med. Sci. Sports Exerc. 30:1456-1460 1998.
- Falk, B., A. Eliakim, R. Dotan, D.G. Liebermann, R. Regev, O. Bar-Or: Birth weight and physical ability in 5-8 year-old healthy children born prematurely. Med. Sci. Sports Exerc. 29:1124-1130, 1997.
- Eliakim, A., B. Wolach, E. Kodesh, R. Gavrieli, J. Radnay, T. Ben Tovim, Y. Yarom, B. Falk: Cellular and humoral immune response to exercise among gymnasts and untrained girls. Int. J. Sports Med. 18:208-212, 1997.
- Hoffman, J.R., B. Falk, S. Radom-Isaac, Y. Weinstein, A. Magazanik, Y. Wang, Y. Yarom: The effect of environmental temperature on testosterone and cortisol responses to high-intensity, intermittent exercise in the heat. Eur. J. Appl. Physiol. 75:83-87, 1997.
- Falk, B., M. Bar-Eli, R. Dotan, M. Yaaron, Y. Weinstein, S. Epstein, B. Blumenstein, M. Einbinder, Y. Yarom, G. Tenenbaum: Physiological and cognitive responses to cold exposure in11-12 year-old boys. Am. J. Human Biol. 9:39-49, 1997.
- Bar-Eli, M., S. Sachs, G. Tenenbaum, J.S. Pie, B. Falk: Crisis-related observations in competition: A case study in basketball. Scand. J. Med. Sci. Sports 6:313-321, 1996.
- Falk, B., Y. Weinstein, R. Dotan, D.A. Abramson, D. Mann-Segal, J.R. Hoffman: A treadmill test of sprint running. Scand. J. Med. Sci. Sports 6:259-264, 1996.
- Falk, B., G. Tenenbaum: The effectiveness of resistance training in children: A meta-analysis. Sports Med. 22:176-186, 1996.
- Falk, B., G. Mor: The effects of resistance training in 6-8 year-old boys. Ped. Exerc. Sci. 8:48-56, 1996.
- Hoffman, J.R., H. Stavsky, B. Falk: The effect of water restriction on aerobic power and vertical jumping height in basketball players. Int. J. Sports Med. 16:214-218, 1995.
- Falk, B., M. Einbinder, Y. Weinstein, S. Epstein, Y. Karni, Y. Yarom, A. Rotstein: Blood lactate concentration following exercise: effects of heat exposure and of active recovery in heat-acclimatized subjects. Int. J. Sports Med. 16:7-12, 1995.
- Falk, B., M. Bar-Eli: Psycho-physiological response to parachuting among novice and experienced parachutists. Aviat. Space Environ. Med. 66:114-117, 1995.
- Falk, B.: Effect of continuous and intermittent exercise on energy expenditure and on the cardiorespiratory response. Percept. Motor Skills 80:64-66, 1995.
- Breslav, I., S. Epstein, B. Falk, Y. Karni, G. Tenenbaum, Y. Weinstein: Ratings of perceived exertion and of dyspnea in young athletes. Biol. Sports 11:91-99 1994.
- Falk, B., O. Bar-Or, J. Smolander, G. Frost: Response to rest and exercise in the cold: effects of age and aerobic fitness. J. Appl. Physiol. 76:72-78 1994.
- Falk, B., O. Bar-Or: Longitudinal changes in peak aerobic and anaerobic mechanical power of circum-pubertal boys. Ped. Exerc. Sci. 5:318-331, 1993.
- Falk, B., O. Bar-Or, J.D. MacDougall: The thermoregulatory response of pre-, mid- and late-pubertal boys to exercise in dry heat. Med. Sci. Sports Exerc. 24:688-694, 1992.
- Falk, B., O. Bar-Or, J.D. MacDougall, C. Goldsmith, L. McGillis: A longitudinal analysis of the sweating response of pre-, mid- and late-pubertal boys during exercise in the heat. Am. J. Human Biol. 4:527-535, 1992.
- Falk, B., O. Bar-Or, J.D. MacDougall, R. Calvert: Sweat gland response to exercise in the heat among pre-, mid- and late-pubertal boys. Med. Sci. Sports Exerc. 24:313-319, 1992.
- Falk, B., O. Bar-Or, J.D. MacDougall, L. McGillis, R. Calvert, F. Meyer: Sweat lactate in exercising children and adolescents of varying physical maturity. J. Appl. Physiol. 71:1735-1740, 1991.
- Falk, B., O. Bar-Or, J.D. MacDougall: Aldosterone and prolactin response to exercise in the heat among circum-pubertal boys. J. Appl. Physiol. 71:1741-1745, 1991.
- Burstein, R., O. Shpilberg, A. Rubinstein, N. Bashan, B. Falk, Y. Epstein: The effect of prolonged intermittent exercise, combined with food deprivation, on plasma metabolite concentration. Aviat. Space Environ. Med. 62:555-558, 1991.
- Falk, B., R. Burstein, E. Zylber-Katz, Y. Rosenblum, N. Bashan, Y. Shapiro: Effects of caffeine ingestion on body fluid balance and thermoregulation during exercise. Cnd. J. Physiol. Pharmacol. 68:889-892, 1990.
- Falk, B., R. Burstein, I. Ashkenazi, O. Shpilberg, J. Alter, E. Zylber-Katz, A. Rubinstein, Y. Shapiro: The effect of caffeine ingestion on physical performance after prolonged exercise. Eur. J. Appl. Physiol. 59:168-173, 1989.
- Ludwa I.A., D.D. O’Leary, T.J. Wade, J. Cairney, B. Falk, and P. Klentrou. The effect of adiposity on the relationship between indicators of maturity in peri-pubertal children. Ann. Human Biol., 2013; Early Online: 1–5 (Dec. 2012)
- Ludwa I.A., D.D. O’Leary, T.J. Wade, J. Cairney, B. Falk, and P. Klentrou. The effect of adiposity on the relationship between indicators of maturity in peri-pubertal children. Ann. Human Biol., 40(1):70-4, 2013; Early Online: 1–5 (Dec. 2012).
Office: WC 293
T 905 688 5550 x4979
F 905 688 8364
Michael Pryzbek (MSc – Health Sciences) thesis: Monday, October 20, 2014
October 20, 2014 - 9:00am - 12:00pm
Be a Pan Am/Parapan Am Volunteer!
July 10, 2015 - 12:00pm - August 15, 2015 - 12:00pm