Applied Health Sciences - Community Health Sciences
Recent Research Funding
- 2009–2011 Rick Hansen Institute
- $327,450 to investigate Incorporation of Physical Activity into the Rehabilitation Process after SCI. Co-investigator with A. L. Hicks et.al.
- 2009–2011 $16.5 million in infrastructure funding from the provincial and federal governments for the construction of Centres for Spinal Cord Injury and Cancer Education, Research and Rehabilitation. Lead investigator and principal author on institutional grant.
- 2008–2011 CIHR
- $349,846 to investigate Bone quality in Individuals with Spinal Cord Injury. Co-investigator with L. Giangregorio, L. Trabane, A. Papaioannou, R. Adachi, C. Craven, and M. Popovic.
- 2005–2010 CIHR National Centres of Excellence—New Initiative Program
- $1,600,000 to create The Canadian Obesity Network. Co-investigator with Arya Sharmah
- 2003–2007 CIHR
- $1,700,000 to support CIHR Training Program in Skeletal Health Research
- Co-investigator with A. Papaioannou, R. Adachi, S. Atkinson, C. Webber, J. Blimkie and researchers at Calgary, McGill, Universite de Montreal, Ecole Polytechnique, and Dalhousie. Joint participation in graduate supervision, intensive summer workshops and an annual conference to increase scientific interactions between mentors and trainees and raise the profile of research in population health, which is currently under-represented.
- 2002–2004 Ontario Neurotrauma Foundation
- $55,000 to investigate the Effect of early body-weight supported treadmill training on functional walking ability and important health outcomes in persons with SCI. Co-investigator with A.L. Hicks, K. Martin, and J. Bugaresti.
- 2002–2004Canadian Institutes for Health Research
- $127,995 to investigate Developing physical activity recommendations and interventions for people with spinal cord injury. Phase 1: Development of a valid and reliable measure of physical activity for people with spinal cord injury. Co-investigator with K. Martin, A.L. Hicks, G. Norman, C. Craven, and A. Latimer.
- 2001–2004 Canadian Heart and Stroke Foundation
- $203,205 to investigate the Functional, physical and psychological benefits of strength training in the cardiac rehabilitation of women. Co-investigator with H. Arthur, R.S. McKelvie, K. Martin, et al.
- 2001–2004 Arthritis Society
- $222,000 to investigate the Effect of exercise and education on physical performance, disability and self-efficacy in persons with osteoarthritis of the knee. Co-investigator with J. Wessel, K. Martin, R.Adachi.
- 2000–2002 Ontario Neurotrauma Foundation
- $177,600 to investigate the Effects of Body-weight supported treadmill training after spinal cord injury: effects on functional abilities and important health outcomes. Principal investigator.
- 2000–2003 SSHRC
- $103,166 to investigate Enhancing perceived control and health-related quality of life through exercise: a study of older adults. Co-investigator with K.A. Martin, L. Brawley and A.L. Hicks.
- 2000–2001 Arthritis Society
- $63,654 to investigate The effect of exercise and education on physical performance, disability and self-efficacy in persons with osteoarthritis of the knee. Co-investigator with J. Wessel, K.A. Martin, R. Williams and J.D. Adachi.
- 1999–2001 Ontario Neurotrauma Foundation
- $103,000 to investigate the Impact of a community “fitness and wellness” Program for persons with spinal cord injury. Co-investigator with A.L. Hicks, J. Bugaresti, K. Martin, C. Craven, and M. Belcig.
- 1999 Canada Foundation for Innovation and the Ontario Innovation Trust
- $1.6 million. Co-investigator with J. Starkes et al., on a research infrastructure grant to establish the McMaster Centre for Health Promotion and Rehabilitation.
- 1998–2000 Drummond Foundation
- $80,000 to investigate the Efficacy of home-based exercise for improving quality of life and reducing risk of future fractures among elderly women with symptomatic osteoporosis-related vertebral fractures. Co-investigator with A. Papaioannou, C.E. Webber, J. Adachi, and W. Parkinson.
Professor & Dean, Faculty of Applied Health Sciences
Office: WC 286
T 905 688 5550 x3385
F 905 984 4851
Janel Doell Cracknell (MA – Health & Physical Education) thesis defence: Thursday, December 12, 2013
December 12, 2013 - 9:00am - 12:00pm
Carrie Schachtschneider (MSc – Health Science) thesis defence: Tuesday, December 17, 2013
December 17, 2013 - 9:00am - 12:00pm
Kathryn Humphries (MA – Community Health) thesis defence: Friday, December 13, 2013
December 13, 2013 - 10:00am - 1:00pm