New York Times
HELEN CULVER DIES; HULL HOUSE DONOR
Chicago Philanthropist, Co-worker with Jane Addams, Gave Ground for Site
WAS PIONEER SUFFRAGIST
Her Many Benefactions include Biological Laboratories at the University of
Special to the New York Times
Chicago, Aug 19, 1925, — Miss Helen Culver, whose philanthropy established Hull House, died today at her home, in Lake Forest. She was 93 years old.
Her death closed a career that had been remarkable for more than half a century. She was a successful business executive when women in business were almost unknown, and her abilities brought her a fortune. She was an early worker for woman suffrage. Her interests included philanthropy, science and human welfare, and are represented by many foundations.
In 1868 Miss Culver entered the real estate business with her relative, Charles J. Hull. The partnership proved immensely successful, and when Hull died, in 1895, he left his entire estate to Miss Culver. She immediately cooperated with Jane Addams in the development of Hull House, giving the ground for its site.
The Hull Biological laboratories at the University of Chicago were among her other benefactions. A few years later she endowed a gold medal to be given by the Geographic Society of America to the explorer or scientific man who should “advance the boundary lines of the world’s knowledge.”
Her last gift was the Helen Culver Fund for race psychology.
She was born in Little Valley, N. Y., and educated at the Randolph Academy in New York City. She founded a private school in Sycamore, Ill., and later gave it up to accept a principalship in the Chicago schools.
In late years Miss Culver had made her home with her
nephew, Charles Hull Ewing, in Lake Forest. Funeral services will be held
Saturday, with burial in Rose Hill Cemetery.